Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on avatar amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Longolian, May 21, 2005.

1. Longolian

Longolian

May 21, 2005
    i've been seeing this thing about the crossover mod.. what is this? what does it do? how hard/expensive is this to do? how?

2. A crossover like the one in an Avatar cab controls which frequencies the horn will play. There are different levels of how much frequency cutoff there will be between different crossover types. I picked up all the peices for a 4th order linkwitz-riley crossover for $22.81, and I plan to build and install it when my new B212 cab shows up next week. There are a few pictures of what the crossovers looks like, but I'll take pictures of the process of building and installing one incase anyone is interested. I ended up spending about $370 total on this Avatar 212 with ernieball pop-out casters and a new crossover. Most comparable 212's come in between $50-$250 more, so avatar is a good deal.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Check the title of this thread. Avatar does not make amps, but we know what you mean ;) !

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    on the good 'ol xover discussion, I found heaps of pre made ones here

http://www.adamhall.com/

click English - then select Link Dynamics x/over in the drop down menu on the left...

this is the list of x/overs:

buy offlineHi-pass filter 1200Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 1600Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 2500Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 250Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 3500Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 400Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 5000Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 5000Hz 16 Ohm
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 500Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 6000Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 7000Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 7000Hz 16 Ohm
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 8000Hz
    buy offlineHi-pass filter 800Hz

any of these similar to the LoveThatBass model in that other thread?

5. If you build your own here are some suggestions:

May I offer some suggestions on your building of the crossover for Avatar's Tweeter of things I have found?

A. On the boards run the grounds to a single point
    B. Run one ground wire from the ground on the tweeter control to that ground point.
    C. Use emerycloth or fine sandpaper to remove the insulation from the coils for soldering.
    D. If you are going to keep the 1/4" inch Jacks in place for use the isolate them from the Control Plate for less hiss. I just clipped the wires from these on mine as I use only the speakon connector. It appears since the Tweeter is realitively efficient, grounding the Control Plate via the 1/4" Jacks can make the plate like an antenna of which the tweeter will pickup unwanted noise.
    My unit on my amp is very quiet now.