Question on Avatar compact 15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Oct 16, 2004.

1. i have an 8 ohm 15" speaker in my avatar cab and it seems like i am pushing it too hard cause the low end sounds "farty" for some reason. would switching to a 4 ohm give me more power and better low end. keep in mind i am looking to replace just the speaker i love that fact that the cab is so small. i am runninng a 6 sting through an Ampeg Svt3 pro

another thought i had was to build a copy of the cab and put another 8 ohm in it and pair them and get more air movement
    which do youguys think would be a better option?

1 4 ohm cab or 2 8 ohm cabs?

2. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I can tell you that I have two 8-ohm 15" cabinets working together and they work together exceedingly well!
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    What are your SVT-3 settings? Might be overworkingly underworking the amp which in most casses a second cab would be a benefit.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Which Compact 15 do you have? The original cube or the CB115 (or CB115H) or what?

Does it have the original Eminence speaker in it? If so, which one?
  5. i'm not sure which compact it is but it does have an eminence speaker and no horn i bought it used

i'm thinking on building a new twin for it and buying two of the emi Kappa pros. anyone know of any better replacement 15's that would fit a funk/blues/jam band setting
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    What are its approx. dimensions...18 by 18 by 16 inches or 25 by 18 by 16 inches?

Is the port a slot on one end or a round hole in the back?
  7. 18x18x16 i think round hole in back for port i bought it used for 150 as a practice amp but really liked the sound and just want more pore and low end from it
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Seems as though you have the original C15, which would have come with an Eminence Kappa 15 (IIRC). The box is tuned in the mid '60s (again IIRC).

You might benefit from using something like an Eminence Delta 15LF which is designed to perform well in smaller boxes.

When Dave (of Avatar) first offered the B212 (2x12) he offered the choice of Eminence Kappa or Eminence Delta 12LFs. His comment was that the Kappa was a punchier speaker and the Delta 12LFs were deeper. This holds true for the 15s too.

I once had a pair of the C15s. I found that a pair of them sounded much better than one cabinet. Later, I bought a B112 (first generation) that was in the same size box as the C15 that you have...the C15 and B112 sounded great together.

Keep in mind that it's a really, really small box for a 15 and you have to accept some diminished low end performance. Adding another 15 would help your low end a would using a different Eminence woofer.

FWIW, Avatar has the best prices I've seen on raw Eminence speakers. As long as Dave uses it in one of his production cabinets, you can buy it from him at a big discount (compared to other Parts Express, etc.).

Good luck and have fun!!!!