Question on B. Hefner and Warmoth P bodies.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FaithNoMan, Feb 12, 2009.

1. I'm most likely going for B. Hefner(they are less expensive since Warmoth's price hike), but I guess my question pertains to both companies P bass bodies.

The front routed P/J body is what I want, as I would like to put a small stainless control cavity cover on the front, ala John Wetton(sans pickguard), except with a rock maple body( I found out B. Hefner makes those, too)

I don't want the rear-routed body, even though I know I can still put the cover on the front.

Of course, the front routes do not extend to the P pickup cavity, so that makes it easy to forego a pickguard.

What I am concerned about though, is that actual P pickup cavity - it is made large, b/c people usually put a pickguard there and without one it is going to look silly because the cavity is much bigger than the pup.

The J pup cavity on the P/J on B. Hefner's site shows it made to precisely fit a Jazz pup, so my question is can they make a precision pickup cavity that fits close on that front routed body also?

I understand there will probably be an up-charge, but it would be well spent to have something that looks right.

Thanks in advance:)

Chris

2. This is the body style in question:

Attached Files:

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    gotta link for that chrome partial cover for a top routed P body?

all the best,

R

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I emailed this seller (I first heard about them on eBay) several months ago, maybe even more than a year ago, about having them do me up a Jazz body with 70s bridge pickup spacing. They said no problem, same price IIRC. I'd just contact them if I were you.

5. No, I used to, but can't find it anywhere in my bookmarks. I forgot how I even searched for the thing.

Auriaprottu, I probably will call them soon.

Thanks, guys - I've been wanting to build this thing forever.

6. AA63

AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021