Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on bass sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mutilation, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    hey yall
    Im thinking about buying a fender mexican made jazz bass this summer.. I got a question.
    im gonna customize it and "trick it out" .. lol
    i was thinking about putting a badass 2 bridge on one and flatwounds... well just wondering what would it sound like? anybody done this?
    I really dig flatwounds.. I switched to flats on my yamaha rbx270.. thanks for the answers
    nick

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Well. The Quan bridge will darken up the tone a bit. It may improve sustain a bit also.

Flats tend to have a softer, darker sound as well. Properly EQed, they can sound outstanding on a jazz bass. I have a fretless Yamaha jazz bass that I use flats on. I like it very much.

You can certainly get "growl" out of flats, although it is a little different flavor than what you get with rounds.

Much of it depends on your style. Flats have a sort of "swell" them. A much slower attack. For many types of music this sounds great, but if you are trying to cut through a wall of guitars, they might not be bright enough.

Chas

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had Thomastik Jazz flats on my MIM Jazz, which happens to have a Badass II bridge...it sounded fantastic! I may be switching back to that combination when I change strings again;)

4. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    lol wall of guitars lol.. im kinda heavy on effects.. mainly distortion and ev filters... i play fast.. i play alot of classical. i play alot of metal (mainly older talica pre justice) some rock... i dont slap very much at all...i wanna cut through the guitars but i dont wanna go beyond the guitars.. i think something like steve harris from iron maiden(my hero) he strung his p bass with flats but he had a quater pound pup so i know it will sound either real different or just a little different.. it probly wont be dead on since im not getting a pbass with quarter pound pup but thanks man.. thanks ram.. Im for sure... at first i wanted a warlock.. then i relized hm i rather have something that sounds good than something that will make me look "gothic" and sound like a pig getting butt raped ..im not gothic at all i just happen to have long hair and like old hard rock and metal lol.. thanks yall

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Try those flats with your bass, add a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and you'll have a mean, distorted tone that'd be great for metal! I've played with that tone...you wouldn't believe you're playin' with flats!