1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Bill Lawrence P46 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rich48, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    i just bought a new mim 4 string pbass. I'm thinking about upgrading the pickups. I read a lot of good reviews on the P46 but most of what I read is a few years old. Looking at the P46 on their web sight, it has 5 poles in each half. The web site it can be used for 4, 5, or 6 string basses. Has the p46 always had 5 poles? Does anyone have any feedback on this?

The reason I want to upgrade is I get great tone on the E and A strings, but the D and G seem a little week. I would also like to be able to get a cleaner tone when I want it without giving up the great pbass tone that I like most of the time. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yes always has 5 poles. Works similar to a rail mag because the fields are closer together than a four mag setup.

I love mine. A truly unique pickup. The clarity and output is excellent. You dint lose anything but gain a whole new dimension to the P sound. Super quiet. Mags are grounded. Epoxy potted. You have to make the final connection for the two halves either direct or the rough a switch for series/parallel option.

And the price!! A steal.

Be aware that the pickup case is a tiny bit larger than standard (probably because they’re custom made for Wilde) so you’ll have to file the pg opening a bit to fit it in especially the mounting ears.

But if your DAnd G are weak, simply move that side of the pickup up or the EA side down to even it out. Don’t be afraid to angle each half to follow the string radius.

3. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    Thanks for your reply. I think I will try to mess with the pickup height before deciding to replace them. I still would like to be able to get a really clean tone, like I can get on my ABG, when I want it without giving up the classic pbass tone that I want most of the time. Are there any passive pbass pickups that can do both?

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No. Abg has piezo pickups that work differently to magnetic pickups. Mag pups color the sound in a specific way that is inherent to their makeup. The Wilde p46 is clean but has nuts too. Bill designed then to his ear, being a jazz man he liked clarity and articulation. Turns out that it works great with any style of music imo.