Question on cab power handling...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Once I get a job I'm going to be purchasing a new head and I've been looking at the Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II, but wouldn't mind the 1001RB-II. But I was wondering, how much can a cab handle past it's power rating? If I can I want to get the 1001RB-II, but it puts out max(?) 460w@8ohms and my cab says it handles 400w@8ohms. So is it possible that I could get the 1001RB-II and not insanely chance blowing my cab?

2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It'll be fine. Go for it. Without going into too much boring detail, the amp doesn't put out 460watts all the time, only at the point of clipping. Most of the time it puts out way less than that. If you do happen to push 460w, it will generally be for a brief time and speakers can take it usually.

There's 2 ways to blow speakers. Excessive clipping, and making them move too far. Avid doing either of those and wattage specs become almost irrelevent. Use them as a guide only.
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    General rule is that you can power it twice the cabinet's power rating. So you'd be A OK.

GK rules. Seriously. You know it.
  4. I've always liked the tone and it puts out so much power and at the price I can snag it for (its like $630+/- shipped brand new) so it's hard to pass that up! Plus, for some reason, I already have a GK sticker on my cab! So why not get a GK head?