Question on cabs for an Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Alright, so i've basically decided that i want to get either an Eden head, or a head from a different company and an Eden Preamp. The question is, how will an Eden sound through an SWR? Is an Eden cab better with the Eden than an SWR or are they very similar? What are you views on this subject? Eden or SWR cab and why?
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I use to run my Eden WT-500 through my SWR Goliath II (*plug*for sale*plug) and it sounded great. But that cab is more of an Eden tone than SWR tone. I'm not much help but I would think that the Eden head would sound great through just about anything. I'm currently running either my WT-800 or my Navigator through an Aguilar GS410 and it's spectacular.:D

For your own piece of mind I'd take your Eden amp and try it through an SWR cab. There definately seems to be more SWR dealers around than Eden dealers.
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Running my Navigator thru an Eden 4x10 sounds incredible. The majority of jazz musicians I see play use Edens heads, but they vary between SWR and Eden cabs, preferably 4x10s. But I do see more jazz musicians with Eden heads and SWR cabs.
  4. Yeah, basically my question is, will an Eden head sound just as good through an SWR cab in comparison to an Eden cab?
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well my set up is basically this:

Pedulla Pentabuzz-->Eden WT-600 run in stereo into--> 8ohm SWR JR Goliath III 2x10--> 8ohm SWR Goliath III 4x10.

How does it sound? AWESOME! I can not speak for everyone else but SWR pro series cabs really sound good with my Eden head. IMHO better than AMPEG cabs, Ashdown, Trace Elliot, Mesa Boogie, and Aguilar (I've tried them all with the Eden head).

Eden WT-600 with an Eden D410XLT? Well lets just say I guess it would be cool to keep everything Eden but I can not see any reason for me to trade in my SWR cabs for an Eden D410XLT and 2x10XLT. I can't really hear a difference in tone. I really can not. I could with the above I mentioned but not with the Eden 4x10xlt or 2x10xlt. The only thing I can say is that the Eden cabs sounded "warmer" and a little on the bassy side. But its such a slight difference.....I see no reason to get rid of my SWR cabs.

Anyone else??? Besides didn't David N. help design the SWR cab anyway? His ideas are still in those III series so...

BTW- if you do not have SWR cabs as is and are looking into getting a new cab, you mine as well get an Eden Cab with your Eden head. I would have but seeing I have an SWR rig already and it sounds damn good, no need in spending more money I don't have! :p
  6. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Just a note: I do see the SWR/Eden head combo. One rock band here has that set up. I've seen that combo in various jazz pics also, not sure why jazz bassists have this combo, maybe its just coincidence.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Both Eden and SWR cabs and amps are top-notch. I''ve never been disappointed mixing and matching them. I currently own:

WT400, WT800, D210XLT, D410XLT, D115XL, D215XLT

Bass 750, Big Ben, Triad I

In general, well-engineered amps seem to sound their best with cabs that they were designed to drive. Of course, this is a pretty standard thing. There's no denying that there's something special about Eden amps driving Eden cabs and the same with SWR, however.

In short, you will be very happy with Eden amps and SWR cabs and vice versa. To give you an example of a GREAT rig I've recently discovered, try the Eden WT400 driving an SWR Triad 1. Man, it's hard to beat that in a small club! The Eden puts out 400 watts into 4 ohms and that's exactly what the cab is rated at. Which brings up my final point, wattage/ohm matching is more important when dealing with amps/cabs than brand names. Good luck.
  8. Well currently i don't have an Eden head yet and i don't have a cab to go for it, so basically i'm talkin about starting fresh. If that helps. Also, here i guess is what i'm thinking i could do cab wise.

If i go SWR
    -Goliath Sr.
    -Big Bertha (later on, not right off the bat on the intial purchase)

If i go Eden
    -D-410XLT (later on again, not on intial purchase)

So which of these setups do you think would compliment the system much greater? Also, how do SWR heads sound through Eden cabs? Cause i may also get an IOD later on.