Question on Carvin pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by markowens1234, Jul 22, 2005.

1. markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    I've got a Carvin B4, with the humbucker and jazz pup. What do you guys think of Carvin pups, and electronics? I've been thinking about replacing the pups with some barts. Would replacing the preamp be a good idea as well? Thanks.
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    You'll get all kinds of answers to this question. There's been a lot of somewhat heated debate on the quality of Carvin's pickups and electronics: opinion tends to be polarized in that people say they think they're trash, or they do the job just fine.

Myself, I think the pickups work just fine. In my old Carvin bass (which I no longer have), I experimented with putting Bartolini pickups in it, but ended up going back to the stock pickups. But, in my newer Carvin kit bass, I opted to put those same Bartolinis in it instead of the pickups that came with the kit. Pickups just have different sounds and the Barts have the lows and lower mids that I want out of this particular bass (a fretless.) The stock J99 pickups were more aggressive in the higher frequencies.

As far as the onboard preamp goes, I wasn't a huge fan of the one in my departed LB76. But, it was an older one from the early '90s, with a 2-band EQ. One day it died on me and I just took it out and wired that bass passive. The newer preamps are supposed to be better but I have no experience with them. (My kit bass is passive.)
  3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    All three of my LB70's have that combination and I think they sound great. I won't even consider changing mine out.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried the 5 string J pups, and thought they were fine. If you like them, that's all that matters
  5. fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    friend of mine has a fretless carvin, beautiful bass. its got jazz, and humbucking pickups and its even got piezo pickups on the bridge. its a sweet sweet bass. lots of growl and natural sounding upright tone. id give its electronics a thumbs up