Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on changing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basroil, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Is it pretty simple; you just screw out the old and screw the new ones in? Or is there alot of complicated wiring stuff?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Put the new ones in the old ones place. Make sure to observe polarity properly, and you should be fine.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Learned a long time ago not to expect anything to just drop in. My first trasplant was dropping a pair of EMG's PJ's with a BTC preamp into an Ibanez GSR 200. Pretty simple. But the Ibanez bridge J is a hair shorter than the typical bridge J length (and there is as much as 1/8" difference from one set of J's to another - bridge/neck dimensions aside). So I had to take a hair out of the J routing to even get the bridge to drop in without using a hammer. Fortunately the screw tower routings were close enough. The P was no problem. Of course the MIM Fenders use equal length pups so the typical L/S J set won't get it there. So it just depends. Know the dimensions of what you're buying before you buy.

You will run into similar issues with pots and jacks but since you're not going there, I won't either.

However, for active pups you'd need to change the existing pots/jack if the current ones are passive with a mono jack.