Question on compressors...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ...what are they? What do they do? What is the point in having one? Is it worth $100? :confused:
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Search the archives. Plenty of info there.

If you don't know what it is, you probably don't need one.
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Hey Phoenix21, nice to hear from another GA bass-ment dweller! In case you don't find what you are looking for in the archives, the short version is this:

A compressor "evens" out the varying levels that come out of your bass. For example, a lot of guys that slap and pull off notes will use one so those notes aren't significantly hotter than all the others. Studios tend to run most bass tracks through a compressor for that reason. However, if it isn't set correctly, or isn't a good one, it can tend to "squash" your tone. I find myself playing with one a lot less now than I used to, as it tends to make me more aware of my dynamics. I don't know if it's right for you or not. Maybe you could borrow one first and see what it does or doesn't do for you before dropping $100. Good luck!
  4. Thanks. That helps, a lot. I doubt I will get one, unless I purchase a Fender Jazz anytime soon. I find that when I pluck one of the higher notes on a Jazz, it pops real loud (compared to the mid- and low-notes). Again, thanks! :)

By the way, where is Grayson?
  5. Um I gave an explanation a while back in my welcome the new moderator thread a little while back... Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.