Question on connecting two cabs to one amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chicken Wing, Oct 13, 2021 at 9:28 PM.

1. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    California
    I have an Orange Terror 500 amp with two 1x12 cabs.

Should I be plugging each cab into the amp head, or should I plug one cab into the amp, and then connect one cab to the other?

I typically have plugged both cabs into my amp, but recently in the studio the engineers only plugged one cab in and then plugged the 2nd cab into the first one. Or it could have been my drummer who moved my rig into the studio and no one checked.

Photo of my setup below. FFBF3D8D-579B-486C-98B6-1506DAABF951.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    Bobo likes this.
  2. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    The manual says
    SPEAKER OUTPUTS:
    Make sure the correct speaker load is connected at all times during operation in one of the following configurations:
    1 x 8 Ohm cabinet – Use either speaker output (rear panel).
    2 x 8 Ohm cabinets – Use both speaker outputs (rear panel).
    1 x 4 Ohm cabinet – Use either speaker output (rear panel).

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR CONNECTING SPEAKER CABINETS:
    • Do not use two speaker cabinets of mismatched impedance!
    • Do not connect a speaker load which is less than 4 Ohms!
    • Always connect to a speaker cabinet(s) of suitable power handling!
    • Only connect speakers using a quality dedicated Speaker cable. Never use an instrument cable!

Failure to observe these points may cause damage to both the amp and cabinet(s).

What is the impedance of the cabs? Depending on how the cabs are wired, daisy chaining may affect the impedance the amp is seeing.

dbsfgyd1 and Chicken Wing like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The two are equivalent so whichever you prefer is fine. I like to plug both cabinets into the amp as you normally do. This offers redundancy which is a good thing. If one cable fails or more likely gets yanked out, the amp will keep working with the other cab.

4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Unless there is something very unwise going on with non standard connections, two 8 ohm cabs linked together look like one 4ohm cab to the amplifier. So it makes no difference.

packhowitzer, SamJ, mikecd1 and 3 others like this.
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I do this.
    The impedance is the same, but there is the extra level of security in that the signal will pass on to the cab in the even of a cable going south. Plus, I like knowing that each cabinet is directly connected to the output section of the amp, not a jack on the upstream cab.

Chicken Wing and beans-on-toast like this.
  6. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    California
    Thank you all. Appreciate the responses :bassist:

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It makes no difference which way, they are equivalent.

8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Some amps don't have 2 speakon outs so daisy chaining is the only way.

SamJ likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Correct, and it's no big deal provided the cabinets have parallel jacks. Otherwise a splitter cable needs to be used.

packhowitzer and SJan3 like this.
  10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Yep, that's the catch of today's small/micro amps: there just isn't room for two of those jacks! An effecs loop or XLR DI out is a more practical use of the space, especially considering that most using small heads typically carrying one cabinet anyway.
    I am very happy that Speakon has become the standard for bass amps. I have certainly punched/drilled some holes in my older amps and cabs to install Speakon jacks. If anything, it makes me feel better psychologically.

11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    It may be an economy of space issue or simply the manufacturer's posture that 2 speakon outs are not necessary as Daisy chaining gives the same results. I have different combos on my amps. One has 2 speakons only, one has 1 speakon combo/ 1/4" and a 2nd 1/4" only. One has a combo speakon/ 1/4" Jack only. They all drive my two 8 ohm cabinets.

12. MikePlaysBass

MikePlaysBass

Oct 3, 2011
    No matter how you plug them, they’ll still be in parallel. Just don’t go below the impedance your amp can handle.

SJan3 likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021