1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Controls

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RAHAZ, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    I will be cutting the "wings" this weekend and ran across a question I hope you can help me with. :help:

How much space do you like to leave between Pots/ knobs and how do you secure your battery in the compartment? :confused:
    100_7394.

Here is the overhead shot (sorry for the soft focus). I don't want to bring the cavity up too high or else it will run into the leg contour. Should I give in and route a compartment on the upper wing and drill across the neck for the lead wires? I do have a piece of the 1/4" maple left to make the cover...
    100_7397.

Any advice you could give would be helpful.

2. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    The control spacing is a personal preference. For the battery, I would route for a battery compartment. It's a cleaner look, more convenient, and you will remove less wood. Stew-Mac has them available with a routing template to match.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    You can always just wrap the battery in foam, or get a battery clip, or if you want to go crazy you can an openable lid holder.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk
    p.s. nice looking bass by the way.

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I routed a cavity for the battery inside the control cavity. In that way I don't have to make an extra cavity through the back for the battery and I keep as much of wood possible in the bass and not in the trash.

I saw somewhere a pic for a guy that used one of those compartments StewMac sells but he sunk it completely into the body a glued a matching piece of the backs wood on the top so it was almost invisible.

5. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks for your opinions. I think I will keep the lower control cavity as small as possible and have the battery on the upper wing since there is a lot of wood on that side. I'll bridge across the neck with a 1/8" - 1/4" diameter chase.

Eleon: I was going to do the cavity inside a cavity but I don't think I will have the room with the thigh cut I will be doing.

Jrfrond and Diggler: Thanks for the ideas and compliment.

We'll see how it all turns out.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Min 30mm c-c between pots for convenience. If you have narrow knobs, you can go with less.
    There is plenty of room for the battery between the pots and the neck. Make a compartment in compartment, or a separate one.