Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on converting fretted to fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sandman_96, Aug 4, 2002.

1. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Im in the middle of converting an old Ibanez soundgear into a frettless. I got all the frets out and everything but I dont have anything that will cut the wood thin enough to fit in the slots where the frets where. I have read a couple threads about converting fretted to fretless but they dont say what they used to cut the wood. Just to let you know I dont want to use any kind of wood filler and I dont want to pay to have it done. Thanks in advanced for the help.

2. What about a band saw to slice finely off the end of a piece of wood??

Sit there with a tree branch and a pocket knife?? heehe Wicking. old mans voice: "i spent 3 years carving the fret fillers for the bass..."

:D:D

Roger Wilco,

Merls

3. Goto your hardware store and buy some 1/32 inch birch veneer. Well birch if you have a dark fretboard, a dark wood if you have a light. Unless you want to try and hide the lines, in that case well I'm sure you can figure it out. Or you could even buy 1/32 inch arylic (sp?) it should work just fine.

If all else fails, wood filler will do.