Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on D'Addario Slow Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Nov 10, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can't find the answer to this question when I do a search for Slow Wounds. I'm thinking these strings are hexcore therefore providing more tension than regular roundcore nickel strings. Can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Didn't you try D'Addario's own website?

http://www.daddariostrings.com/viewfullproduct.asp?alt=100003290

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yes....it's taking so long to pull up the "products" section that I kept timing out. I didn't know if D'addario was experiencing tech difficulties at the moment.
    -Bazz-

4. I think the Slowounds are fairly regular tensionwise. The hexcore is the standart in bass strings, whereas roundcore is the exception. I can only think of DR Hi-, Fat- and Sun-Beams and maybe one type of Dean Markley strings being rouncore strings. So that Slowounds is hex-core doesn't say much tensionwise. But they surely are stiffer than DR Hi-beams (and Sun-beams) but pretty close to Fat-beams, if DR's should be your reference.

5. This is the info for the supersoft set. (SW1000)
    And yes, D'addarios site is the slowest :rolleyes:

Diameter Tension

Item# Note inches mm lbs kg

SWB040 G 0.04 1.016 33.7 15.28

SWB060 D 0.06 1.52 42.9 19.46

SWB075 A 0.075 1.91 38 17.23

SWB095 E 0.095 2.41 34.4 15.6

D'Addario's revolutionary Slowound bass strings are wound with nickelplated steel and are our premier bass string. Slowounds utilize an innovative tension control system that eliminates variables during winding. The Slowound nickel-plated wrap wire produces a clear, tight sound with a powerful bottom.

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    If it makes a difference, I bought a set last friday (50.00 CAD), put them on my bass and took them off about 15 minutes later. Way too much tension in comparisson to what I am used to. These strings were frickin tight... I immediately thought "hey, these would have been great when I was in that metal band that tuned down to C sharp".. I dunno if it was actually the tension that bothered me, but I just found them bad for slapping (made slapping difficult and slap sound was bad IMO)...

I did like them for pick style tho.

Put on EB Hybrid slinkys! one extreme to the other... the slinkys feel sooo opposite... too opposite, actually.

7. Hmm, I think EB's and SW's are fairly the same tension. Maybe I should think again!? SW's has a funny way of vibration though. It's like playing with compressor or something. Even though they have good sustain they sort of cancel out dynamics compared to DR strings, which are very responsive to different playing styles.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    They were too smooth sounding for me, I'll keep my DR's.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Slowounds? Yessir, I like 'em! They're a little bright at first, but after a year or so, they mellow right out.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I actually like them for slapping and fingerstyle. Put them on my Spector with Active p/u's this past summer, and everyone loves the sound. I think they're great, but that just my opinion. A little bright at first, but a few days later I had 'em worked in nice...3 months later and they're still punchy...I play every weekend and practice regularly, so it's not from lack of playing!

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    All but one of my basses are strung with Slowounds. The one that's not has a set of EXPs which I think sound and feel much like Slowounds with a tad more brightness. IMO they work well for slap, tap, fingerstyle, etc., etc....

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hey RevGroove,

I finally found a set and tried them on my Spector. I am stainless steel all the way. I liked the sound but they were so smooth, too smooth for me. I still have them, maybe one day my taste will change. I just like the DR's way too much, but I appreciate the advise.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    No problem man, to each his own!

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah, I could see how someone could really like these strings on an active bass though, just don't work for me in my trio, need a little more aggresssive rock sound. But the lows are nice and smooth and deep.

15. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Well, today I was beboppin away and POP! ..there goes my G string again.. I swear, I have broken the G string on every set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys I have ever had.. I'm sure I have broken other G stings, but never like this.. I like the EB's but I won't put another set on again.
    Soo... off to the music store I go... I was just gonna buy a set of GHS boomers cause they just seem to work for me, but the store didn't even have any in.. They had nothing.
    Soo... I came home and through on my Slow Wounds which are basically brand new, and boy oh boy, I gotta tell ya, I really like these strings. I adjusted my amp settings a bit and gave them a chance and I really do like them, alot. I was worng, they aren't too tight.. actually perfect tension. Great sound and feel, big bottom.

Only thing I could do without are the pink/blue/black/green ends. I think they look about as bad as a string could look. Oh well, I like them and I just wanted to update my opinion.

Thanks everyone.. reading others' opinions made me give them another shot and I'm glad I did.

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Yeh, I agree about the ends, I liked it better when the colours where on the "ball" endings of the string. But the string itself makes up for that aesthetic minus! :D

17. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The silk ends on my slowounds are freaking me out, they just look terrible! Has anybody ever tried to use a sharpie on them? Just wondering if that would work..... Other than the silk, I think these strings sound great on my Modulus Q5. I'll try them out on my MTD 535 soon.

18. I wouldn't say a year...

On my Grabber I put a set on in March, I was not very happy, except for the nice smooth feeling.

A week later there is no "zing" to them and still smooth, and not tearing up my fingers!
    2 months I'd say they are perfect!

And still going strong

19. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hm. I must be alone in liking the silk. I think it looks cute. :) But the sound is wonderful on my P-bass so far. Just replaced my GHS Pressurewounds (also pretty cool strings) with a new set of Slowounds, and I like them. Gotta wait and see how they last.