Question on Dean Edge Q4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Okay, so what's REALLY the difference between the Dean Edge 4 and the Dean Edge Q4? Besides $110?

I'm reading that the Dean Edge Q4 doesn't have active pickups, it has passive EMGs and an active preamp. So I have two questions: On the Q4, if the battery dies in your active preamp, will the pickups still function and allow you to play just without the preamp (as in, if your battery dies midshow and you have no replacement, are you screwed?) and then, what pickups are on the regular Dean Edge 4? The threads on here cant seem to agree on whether they are EMGs or not.
  2. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i had a Q6 dean .the only diff. is the edge Q4 over the edge 4
    is the Q is for Quilted maple top and active preamp i never had
    a problem with the batterys going dead and i had it over 6 mo.
    they are a nice bass for the price!!!!
  3. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    You can also get an Edge Q4 with Barts. I have one and the tone is nice and mellow. I was under the impression that the regular pups were EMGs.
  4. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The reason that the specs on the Edge seem to change is that they have changed over the years.

The original first generation Edge basses had EMG-HZ passive pickups wired like a jazz bass. These basses sound sensational. I have a 5 string fretless in this configuration, and it's fantastic, but I'm selling it to my nephew who likes the fretless sound and feel.

The second generation (current) Edge basses have "Dean" pickups (which BTW I have read are probably the exact same pickup that was labelled "EMG-HZ" on the original Edges without the EMG licensing fee) and a cheap active preamp. These basses sound "brighter" and "hotter" than the original passive ones, but not as good IMO.

There are many configurations of "Edge", the Q4 I believe may contain the "EMG-HZ" branded pickups with the cheap preamp. I do not theink they have ever used active pickups.

Confused yet?

In any case, these are fine basses, I have owned a Dean and played others in music stores, and every one I've tried has been nice, some exceptional.