1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on descendent of precision bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moresbum, Apr 10, 2010.

1. moresbum

moresbum Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Folks, What bass company do you consider as dscendent of precision bass?

I don't necessarily mean that I want exact same bass as precision.
    I don't care its current looks. Just what I want is a descendent!

Generally says that not only same type bass like sadowsky or alleva but also another modern bass company that has their own design stems from Vintage fender. Many bass companies (and many modern bassists) seem to be from Jazz Bass and Jaco. However I'd like to know company and bass player from Precision Bass and Jameson's FUNK tone.!!

Also If you let me more question, I'd like to know what kind of bass has been well thought of around these scenes like todays FUNK, SOUL R&B and Funk Jazz - not from Jazz tone but from Funk (thick and tough-like precision) tone-. Of course please recommend me musician as well.!

Thanks A LOT :)

Could you recommend me?

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In my view, the real descendents were designed by Leo Fender at G&L. The most obvious P-bass relatives are the SB-1 and SB-2, both of which have the mighty MFD split-coil pickup. They look like Precisions, and produce a massive, full-range split-coil tone. The L-1000 has a single MFD humbucker in roughly the position of a P-bass pickup, and I believe was the first bass Leo designed at G&L. I'd call it a Precision descendent too.

3. Duck Dunn
    [​IMG]

Duck's Bass
    Lakland-Duck-Dunn-CAR.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    G&L's are Leo's last basses, made on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, CA... the true heirs to the throne.

5. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Although I remember in the Eighties the Aria SB-1000 (is that right?) was the first bass that came along that made a significant number of people think, "okay, this is better". I don't know why it wasn't wildly popular, but we all have things like that.

At least that's what happened in my town. Your Memories May Vary

NB

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Do you mean improvement on the fender P that still uses P pups? If so I think BC Rich has done P pup basses better then the competition. To include being the only company to mass market basses with P neck and bridge sets.

As far as true to the aim of fender back when it was really a fender owned company, Id agree with Nedmundo about G&L.