Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on emg pj pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretbuzz85, Nov 24, 2004.

1. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    Hi, im a new user to this board, i only have been reading the posts, and this is my 1st time posting, haha.

ok, so heres my situation, i tried doing a search but to no avail. I own a korean made vantage bass :rolleyes: , and i do BEAD tuning. so heres my question, is the EMG P5J set exactly the same length/size as the normal EMG PJ set? the shop im buying from has run out of the usual EMG PJ and wont have stock for months.

The EMG website does not contain specifications on the exact dimensions :bawl: , thats y im asking here. And i was thinkin, if the dimension is the same, why not go for the p5j set, since im using a low B string.

All help appreciated, thanks. :D

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Don't do 5's but seems I've read posts along the lines they were the same size. The EMG site does allude to a difference in size - which maybe in the magnet or in the pup dimensions but it's not stated that I saw.

You can email EMG or any distributor that handles them and they can tell you.

EMG does state the frequencies for the 5's are different than their 4's but to my knowledge the frequency range a pup actually picks up is determined by the string vibration - which is to say a 4 string pup would pick up a low B just fine as long as the mag is close enough to recieve the vibrations from the string. I have reversed a pup 180 degress and there was no difference in tone I could tell. There are however situations where you won't both poles aligned north (or whatever) to obtain desired results from a specified wiring scheme.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They are the same physical size as the 4's.
    In a 4 string P, each coil covers two strings. In the 5 string version, one coil picks up three strings and the other picks up two strings. I'm imagining there's a longer coil under the covers in one of the P5 shells.
    I'm wondering how that would affect the sound, using a P5 in a 4 string bass. One of the strings could end up passing over both P coils, and in this case being picked up twice?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

that's a pretty astute observation David picked up. The balance designed into the pup regarding tone, volume, sensitivity, clarity, and cut would be affected differently on only one string.

5. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies, at least now i know im not limited to just the 4 string model, haha.

hmm, i was thinking, since emg pj pickups uses one magnet stretched across, it should be no problem picking up the strings right? i mean, it would be a problem if it was individual pole pieces, then the position of the strings would be really crucial.

Anyway, heres a few pictures of my "homemade" fretless, :smug: (Yes, that is in fact a disposable chopstick held in place with blutack as my thumbrest. Talk about budget custom, hahaha)
    Ripped all the frets out without much of a concern :D . Anyway, i sent it to a local luither to get the neck straightened, it was twisted like a slope on a race track, and i also asked him to lacquer the fretboard, so now its shiny, nice and smooth, hahaha.

Only the pickups suck. The things you would do when u cant afford a new bass. heh

Attached Files:

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

actually, in my experience the strings can be far from centered on most poled pups. Strings run between the poles on bi-poles. The major area that usually poses a problem is bending a string out of a magnetic field.

What David is saying is that if the mags on a P overlap on one string you effectively have two pickups reading only one string, with a PJ you'd have 3 mags reading one string and 2 mads reading the others. Although it may not, it will likely present a problem and is highly unlikely to be beneficial in anyway.

Not a bad looking bass by the way.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly, I'd imagine you'd end up having one string sounding louder than others.

8. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    That could be a major problem. Hmmm, anyone with hands-on experience at this?