Question on EMI Shielding - Copper or Aluminum ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Aug 10, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Question, what shielding do most like Copper or Aluminum with Conductive Adhesive?
    What widths? and Put Ups (length? or in sheets)
    Is there a Pre Die Cut Shape that would make life easier ?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Your choice, both are effective. There is also paint that you could use. I would get a small roll of 1 1/2 to 2 inch tape. You will find yourself cutting it down to smaller sizes anyway, no sense in spending for sheets or bigger rolls you won't need.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I would suggest using paint, MG Chemicals Supershield to be specific. You would still need a small roll of copper tape to finish the job (with conductive adhesive, of course.) I use a 3" roll mostly but I have smaller ones. Any size of tape will work, just some will work faster. I wouldn't recommend aluminum tape although it does work. It is really difficult to solder to the aluminum tape and it is not available with conductive adhesive (to my knowledge.)

Additionally, do not buy shielding supplies from Stew Mac. Get your tape from Amazon or Ebay. I get my paint from a local electronics supplier but they stock it on Amazon.

4. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Thanks for the info, I was asking due that my shop fabricates the copper material, never thought about in guitars and bass's, we die cut EMI shields for the electronic inds (in qty from 100-10,000pcs), see pic (sample part- from the not passing bin)
    but you get the idea, and yes we slit it into rolls too. It was something maybe to look at to re roll into smaller 5 ft lengths and sell on Flea Bay is all

Attached Files:

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Whether that is practical or not depends largely on how flexible it is. The copper tape is so thin, if you get a wrinkle in it you can smooth it out and the wrinkle practically disappears; similar to the way gold leaf is so tolerant of wrinkles. A 2 inch strip 5 feet long would let you do a few basses though. Doesn't your company recycle that stuff?

6. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
  7. DiabolusInMusic

8. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    No it is too thin, it literally flashes into nothing when they recycle it in burners.

9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  10. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I just figured it would be a pain to spray (all the masking needed) and would only give a thin coating spraying vs hand painting to get thick coat and get every pocket and corner, ill look into it, Thank You.

11. DiabolusInMusic

I use a lot of newspaper and tape but it takes me 30~ minutes to paint a bass and most of that is letting the paint dry. I use three coats but most use two and 0~ ohms is achievable.

12. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I agree with Diabolus. I use the conductive-adhesive copper tape for some things, like shielding the underside of a pickguard. But I do most of my shielding with SuperShield Nickel in a spray can. It's fast to apply, almost 0 ohms resistance, and very durable over time.

For your reference, most of the copper shielding tape that we use in the Luthier business is 1 mil (0.001" copper + about 0.0015" adhesive) thick. That's about all the thickness of metal we need for our application. The copper you are using in your business may be thicker, if it's being used in something more demanding.

The SuperShield paint typically ends up at about 2 mils of metal per coat. I normally put on two coats. Brushing on a much thicker coat than that is a waste of metal.

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I’ve been using conductive adhesive copper tape, and it’s worked fine, but I have a current build with some wiring routes that would be difficult to line with copper, figures I’d try the MG stuff. I’ve read the small bottles are barely enough for one bass, might combine the two, copper lining for the easy access areas like control cavity, MG elsewhere. I have no pickguard on this build, so recesses for single cooks will get black MG, don’t want bright copper peaking through around the pups.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021