1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass V pricing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 98dvl, Oct 19, 2009.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Hi,

I recently found a used Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V (MIM) that I'm thinking of picking up. It's priced a hair under $300. And from what I can tell, it's from 1998 (from serial number MN8XXXXXX).

My question is this... The new Deluxe Actives seem to go for about $800 or so. Is there something that the newer ones have that the older ones don't? I looked around e-bay, and $300-$400 seems to be the current going rate for these basses. Seems like a heckuva deal over a new one.

I searched around here and read that the MIM deluxe actives have the same electronics as the MIAs... Is that true? If so, is it true for all years, or just certain model years? Honestly, I couldn't care less if it was assembled in Mexico, with US parts (something else I read, but not sure if it's true or not).

What are the other differences between the current year basses that run around $800, and the late 90's basses? What about the differences between the MIM deluxes and the MIA deluxes?

This bass doesn't have the cloverleaf style tuners. Is there a (major) reason for that (like if the cloverleaf style tuners don't fit - or add too much weight) - the tuners are probably the only thing I'd like to change (as I like the bass so far), but not sure if it's a possibility.

Any useful info is much appreciated.