Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on fender jazz bass 2002

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steviecsg, Apr 19, 2004.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    just a general question on the MIA fender jazz bass circa 2002 w graphite reinforced necks, thru body stringing option.

how do they compare against the MIAs of other years

1) circa 1997 (without graphite)
    2) 2003-2004 (w s1 switching)

2. Yeah, I wanna know how the Jazz basses with the S1 switching sound. Our Fender dealer doesn't carry those... :spit:

3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

the new s1 j-basses sound like any other jazz. the s1 is kind of subtle and not as drastic as anyone would have you believe. the sound is thicker, and a little darker, and it does have its uses. they are nice, but the switch is kind of cheesy. i'd rather have my pre-'03 j, with a push/pull pot than the weird fender switch.

as far as graphite rods, i doubt that if you didn't look at the dates you would even notice while playing. the rods don't do anything for the fender deadspot, but since i set up both my basses (1 p, 1 j) i haven't had to reset them due to weather or anything like that. so i guess the graphite does its job.