Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on finishing a bass...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by timidbassist, May 15, 2005.

1. Sorry if this has already been asked before, i searched for related topics to no avail (although i could have been searching for the wrong keywords.) I am just for fun going to do a new paintjob on an extra bass i have laying around because i dont play it for anything except unplugged sitting in my room anyway. I have the coolest granite speckle spray paint (i know spray painting isnt the best way, but like i said im just doing it for fun for a learning experience) and i am wondering what you put over the paint to give it the clear shinny coat?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Dave

2. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i hate to do this to ya, but i think the best way to clear coat it would be with clear sanding sealer followed by nitrocellulose lacquer.

issues:
    1.) it's crazy difficult to put on without all sorts of spray equipment
    2.) FLAMABLE (before it dries anyway)
    3.) it certainly doesn't do wonders in the way of tone... :meh:

3. What kind of spray equipment is needed? Is there some sort of attatchment i could get to an air compressor? What does it do to the tone that you said isnt very good?
    Thanks,
    Dave

4. Well, I like to finish using nitro lacquer, but don't have spray equipment (my shop is a garage). I just use aerosol Deft and Behlen lacquers. They work out great and you can get almost the same results as if you were using spray equipment, if careful.

5. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    flekstone used to come with some kind of top coat, i dont remember what it was though.

6. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    well i've never liked it because it doesn't let the wood resonate freely, it protects it well, and looks damn good, but i find that it kills sustain, and tends to overall dampen the tone.

While i admire asthetics, i think the most important part of a bass is how it sounds (just look a jaco pastorius... his bass looked as if it had been run over by a bus nine times, but he's still a legend cause he sounds so good)