Question on Fodera AJ Contrabass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Maybe some of you can help me. I'm just wondering if the non-presentation is also a singlecut, or is Fodera still producing the double cutaway?

Thanks in advance.
  2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yes the still produce the double cutaway. There have been some hybrid AJ models as well. Joel C has a single cut hybrid type. He is over at I'm sure they can give you the lowdown. Check it out.

3. Thanks, Dan!

So I'm guessing the non-presentation model would come in double cutaway? I've only seen single cut presentation models.
  4. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yes that is correct. This is an AJ sig model,

The presentation has a carved top, sound chambers in the body, 36" scale, 28 frets, usually a single SD custom pickup and some whoop-ass tone. Although I have seen several variations of the models. After all you can get Vinnie or Joey to build an instrument to suit. However if you haven't seen prices for these models...get ready!! I think the AJ Contrabass starts just under $8000.00 and the Presentation I have seen run up over $18,000.00!! Yikes!!
  5. Thanks again Dan, for the helpful post!

I agree about the tone. I picked up the Calle 54 DVD recently, and the tone of that instrument is just amazing! I've become addicted to AJ's performance with Michel Camilo on there. I watch it daily. Just awe inspiring.

I also agree with you about the prices! Steep indeed, but it's for a world class instrument. I would love to have one someday.
  6. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well like my Double Bass instructor once told me after I bought my first "nice" bass.
    "Hmm...I paid a little over 17k for my upright in 1983 and have gotten every penny worth"--Joe Vick

He still plays two or three nights a week and that bass is fantastic. The important thing is to get what you want. No matter how much it cost but for gods sake play on one first. That goes for any bass!!
  7. I must also add that for my tastes, AJ's presentation model has the best recorded tone I've heard from a bass so far. On albums and the Calle 54 DVD, the tone is always huge and so pure.
  8. That's good advice, Dan. I would love to be able to get my hands on one of those. I wish there was a Fodera dealer in my area.

It sounds like your teacher is proof of the fact if you know beyond the shadow of a doubt, you've found the bass you want, no matter how much, do anything to get it. People search for years in pursuit of the ultimate instrument.
  9. Hi Bernie

I spent a number of years searching for a used AJ model as to buy one here (UK) new would be so expensive. I had originally played the double cut away AJ sig and loved it. I also loved the simplicity of the Presentation model and was lucky enough to snag one a couple of months ago. This is without doubt the best buy I have ever made. I hope you get hold of one too. I'm sure you will be well pleased.

I too am addicted to that Calle 54 track it is brilliant and the album Triangulo I'm always playing that.

I also wanted to ask fivestringdan if he owns the white AJ in the pictures ? I was outbid sometime back on one of those, such a cool bass !!
  10. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm sure anyone would be pleased with an AJ6. But PLEASE make sure you play one before you buy. I understand the GAS but you really need to make sure the bass feels right for you.

Okay. Nick, I don't own the white AJ pictured. I remember it going around Ebay a couple of times. It would have been nice but I was a tad hesitant about the 34" scale. I don't like the way a 34" scale feels on a 6string. Just my personal. One day I'll find a AJ6 that I like and buy it.
  11. That's good advice about testing one first. I wouldn't have gone and bought mine without having tried a similar one first.

I know what you mean about the 34" scale but boy that was one sweet looking bass !!
  12. Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm glad to hear from some people that have experience with the instrument in question.

I would definitely love to try one of them. If I ever come across one in my area, I'll be ecstatic.

Nick: when can we expect some studio pics of that beautiful presentation? :D It's such a beautiful instrument and the tone is just as good as it gets IMO.