Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on g&l 2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-birdfan, Sep 28, 2001.

1. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I know where I can get a used L2000 for 633 dollars, mint. I am just wondering if this is a good price and would like to get some thoughts on this bass( quality, sound) any info you guys can give me so I can make a more informed decision. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things about them and would like to know more. Thanks as always.
    BTW Just a quick note to let you know we Canadians are 100% behind our American brothers, and our prayers go out to you. Don't judge us by that crooked faced idiot Chretien. He is a buffoon.

2. Buffoon! LOL. At least it's not Stockwell Day. $633 for a L2000? That's a steal. Go for it. Try it out first though. As far as I know these are among the most versatile basses for sale. (By versatile I mean a wide range of tones are available) Try it out and tell us what happens!

3. $599.99 that's the starting price for G&L L2000's.

4. !!!!!!!

i got mine for $600 flat...

TAKE IT!!!!!!

it's the best non custom-made bass out there....IMHO

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Definitely play it a bit first and take your time. G&L's are a different kind of animal, but a good animal. :) Allow enough time to see if you'll be happy with it, they have a distinct sound and feel apart from Leo's other creations. My opinion is that they are very consistent production basses, extremely solid, and sound awesome. It seems most people either love em or hate em.

For reference, here's how the controls work when you get to play with it. They can be confusing when you first look at them. In the following instances, #1 means closest to the neck, #2 in the middle, and so on. Similarly, the x/y/z descriptions indicate switch positions as if 'x' were closest to the neck, 'y' in the middle, and so on.

#1 switch - pickup selector, neck/both/bridge
    #2 switch - series/parallel, you'll notice a low end emphasis in series mode - personally I like the parallel mode better as it seems to allow more clarity and character to come through
    #3 switch - active with treble boost/active/passive

#1 knob - volume, I recommend 3/4 open - the pickups are hot and full volume can make some bad sounds when you play hard
    #2 knob - treble cut
    #3 knob - bass cut

The EQ knobs actually sound real nice when both are full up. You may notice that by backing off them, at some point, additional midrange comes through. At least, that's how it sounds to me.

By the way, what year is this bass?

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Good description seamus. T-fan, I agree that if you can play it first, you will be ahead of the game. Stock L2000's come with a 1 11/16 nut width, but they can be ordered differently, so you might ask if it is stock. If you like a Stingray or P bass neck, you will be fine. I love my L2000, as the tones you can get are awesome. Even on passive mode, it sounds great. Neck is fast, and fit and finish on G&L are excellent. If it is mint, anything near $600 is a good deal. Let us know.
    doc

7. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm going to try it next week. I don't know the year, it's just a small ad in the buy and sell. I'm sure I'll know right away if I'll like it or not. I'll keep you all posted.

8. is that true that if you back off a little on the bass and treble knobs more midrange comed through???

9. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    "it's the best non custom-made bass out there....IMHO"

Says it all. Cant find another US Made Bolt on Bass that is as good and as versatile. Buy three!

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I should revise and say it seems most prevalent backing off the bass, not the treble so much. Could be the simple roll off on bass reveals a tad more of the underlying midrange.