question on getting new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jimbo, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone

i did a search, but i didn't find anything that answered my question...

here's the problem. i had an old stingray rip off. when i first decided to change the strings, i put on a pair of fender tapewounds. a couple of days later the nut snapped and i had to get it replaced. ever since then i've only bought that type of string.

now i recently bought a MIM jazz fretless and i want to change the strings to get a big, warm tone (any suggestions?) but i'm i don't know about gauges so i'm afraid that this nut will also snap? can anyone put my fears to rest or tell me a good gauge to get? thanks

2. Jimbo,

I've never had a nut snap on me before. What was it made from? Plastic?

Anyway, for the MIM Jazz, I like the tapewounds. I had them on an Essex Jazz fretless copy that I sold a few months ago.

I'm about to try Rotosound flatwounds on my Cort Curbow 5 Fretless, so I'll let you know how those go.

Remember the Fender basses tend to be a little shorter in scale than a lot of basses out there, so you don't want to get anything for an XL scale.

Personally, I had to get used to the feel of flatwounds. That's why I got the tapewounds at first.

If you're really stuck on tapewounds, GHS and Rotosound also make tapewound strings.
  3. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    yeah, it was a plastic nut. worrying about getting strings with too big a gauge shouldn't be a problem?

4. I don't know. If you live near a GC you might want to measure a tapewound string against a MIM nut. Theoretically, Fender strings should be OK on Fender basses. (Fender wouldn't make bad strings, would they???)

My problem with the Fender string was the bridge on my Essex bass, which didn't have holes big enough to accomodate the gauge.

The plastic nut was fine.

One would hope the quality of an MIM is better than an Essex.