1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on good cheap five strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebakersman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. thebakersman

thebakersman

Dec 6, 2008
    I have only really played five strings and i've been thinking that i want to get a 5 string to expand my range but, I've never played a fiver so i was wondering what would be a good choice thats under 500$

2. Ye might be able to find a used USA Peavey Millennium 5er for about that price.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yamaha BB 415

4. The used market, both eBay as well as the "For Sale" Forum here - it's like The Killing Fields out there, with great deals to be found with very little searching.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    +1 :)

6. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I was in the same boat. Picked up an SX 5er here for something like 75 bucks, got a set of MIA Fender Jazz Pups here as well and threw in some new pots. Sounds pretty damn good and cost me under $150.

7. thebakersman

thebakersman

Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks for the imput and what do you guys think of a Traben 5 string cause i've been looking at one but i havent had the time to go to GC.

8. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Overall how would you say that the SX 5er is? For my eventual jump into 5 bangers i was thinking about getting one of those since they're inexpensive but i've still heard people love them. How's the body? Tuners? Bridge? ect.

9. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Yamaha RBX 375

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    save up a few more bucks and get a Lakland 55-01...you can get a really nice used one for $500 to $600 and you will think it is worth much more ('cause it is)....

11. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I got a used Spector Legend 5 on the classified here for under $400. I see used Spector Rebop 5's go for $450 to $500 on ebay all the time. I love mine. Very tight defined B string, excellent construction. Some people think the electronics in the legend aren't so great, but I've had no complaints about my tone so far and I think it sounds killer.

12. +1,000,000

You should be able to able to find a used 55-01 at around that price. But you also need to be aware of what string spacing you like. You'll find that it varies greatly. You also might find that you don't need to spend the whole $500. There are basses out there for ~$250 that blow away much more expensive basses (but not the 55-01!).

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I had an SX Jazz 5-er for a few days. Wound up sending it back. Although it looked FANTASTIC and the sound was very aggressive, it had shortcomings that I couldn't deal with.
    First off, I like wide string spacing on 5-ers. I like no less than 17mm. The SX has 15.5mm at the bridge.
    Second, the string nut totally sucks. It seemed to be too thin for the groove it was glued into and as I tuned the bass up, it was flexing and twisting under string tension in that groove. It was too soft.
    Third, there were some string buzzes in the upper register in the neck that I couldn't get rid of, no matter how I adjusted the neck and still have an acceptible action height (for my liking).
    Fourth, The bridge sucks.

in my opinion, for just a few bucks more, you can get a Squier Affinity V, which is what I did. I actually found one on ebay for $150 and it had upgraded pots and a series/parallel switch for pickups. It's not a whole lot better of a bass, but it has a lot less shortcomings.

from what I read on here, the SX 4-strings are a LOT better than the 5's

14. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    I second the Ibanez 505 recommendation. It's a whole lot of bass, plays fast with a rich range of tones.

15. ByahBass

ByahBass

Feb 18, 2009
    Montreal, Qc
    I recommend picking up a Squier. It's a solid bass, perfoms well but You get what you pay for, theres no question a spector would be better, but for a cheap fiver, go with a squier, then if u like the 5er feel, go for something like a spector or something.