Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Jazz Bass FMT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFN, Mar 10, 2003.

1. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Greetings. This is my first post to this websight. I have found the site useful.

I just received a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V FMT. It has active electronics but when I hooked it up I noticed I get that 60-cycle hum when I take my hands off the strings (just like on my Mexican Frettless Jazz Bass).

Is this normal? I thought the active electronics and "Noiseless Pickups" would eliminate this. I have had one previous bass, a Dean with EMG-HZ pickups that did not have this hum.

Thanks for any assistance.

John

2. John,

Welcome to the site! This is a great resource for bassists around the work. Regarding your Fender... I'm also under the impression that the V FMT shouldn't buzz. If this is really the case, then I would suspect a bad ground somewhere in the loop. Could be anything from bad outlet to cable to a shielding issue in the bass. Someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon. Hope it's an easy fix.

Richard

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Does it hum with both pups turned all the way up??

You will get some hum with them solo'd.

4. If they are passive pickups, and active preamp, your gonna get 60 cycle hum, and there is a ground loop problem somewhere if you get a lot.
    If they are Active pickups (EMG), then they should not buzz at all, and you should get them checked

5. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Thanks for your comments. I initially noticed the problem when I hooked it up to a Tascam Portastudio and monitored through phones. I took the bass to rehearsal at church last night and when plugged in through a direct box sending signal to the board (and an amp for on stage monitoring), there was no hum at all - clear signal.

I was talking to the drummer about this and he was like: so you were plugged into a cheap little box, and let me guess, you were probably had florescent lights on too - there's your problem. And he was right.

By the way, the drummer taps a signal off the bass amp and feeds into his head phone mix so he can control the bass level in his mix, and he said the axe sounded great. I noticed alot of subtle things I would do were coming through more clrearly that were not on other basses I have used. A very nice sounding bass, and great looking too. Thanks again for your input.

John