Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yeah so I've been kind of playing alot of Fender Standerd Jazz's latly and I really like them. But I kind of don't like the colours they come in. I do like the white, wine and that green but I really like the natural colour body more.

Is the natural body availible(sp) in the standerd Jazz?

Next question.

Could I get a maple neck instead of a rose wood?

Would any of this cost more money like getting a sunburst?

thanks Jim

2. you can for sure get any fender with a maple neck at no extra cost. I know they offer the USA P bass in a natural finish once again but I am not sure if they are offering the USA jazz bass in a natural finish.

the 75' jazz bass comes in natural with block inlays and binding which is pretty cool, but those cost a little more. if you are not set on fender I know lakland offers their Joe Osborn skyline bass in natural finishes.

3. Rbassliner

Rbassliner

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    I know Fender carry's a Marcus Miller Bass thats natural wood, also the fingerboard is Maple, the only thing is that its a little different than the standards. You might want to check into it.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I believe natural as finish has been discontinued on MIA series basses (MIA standard basses were discontinued in 2000) I own a natural MIA standard bass and it's a 2000 bass. Im not sure about the MIA 75RI basses, I do still see the natural ones out there but I'm not sure what year they are. They could be NOS basses, as my MIA bought in 01 was a year model old but brand new out the case.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    What about the Made in mexico jazz basses do those come in natural?

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nope.

According, to Fender website, only the Marcus Miller Signature and the '75 RI are available in natural finish.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Thats a kick below the belt if do say so myself.

well I can still get my maple neck.

8. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Standard models, those made in Mexico are only available with a rosewood board. Standard models of the guitars were offered with maple boards. You can go to Fender.com and see colors offered in the various model lines. Sunburst colors cost more for all of the lines.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    You do what you want, but maybe you should consider less on aesthetics, and more on action, tone, comfort for playing, etc.

A 28 year experience showed me that the bass that looks the best to you ain't always the one that will most fit your needs... and taste when playing.

I also prefer the maple boards aesthetically, but I can witness I feel more comfortable on rosewood boards. And my credo is that the best bass for you is the one you fill the most comfortable with. Tone is only at the second rank of priorities, since most of it will come from your chops. And the cosmetics come far after all this, IMO.

Cheers,
    JL