Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Lakland Satin Finish on Neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Oct 28, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was cleaning my bass after a sweaty outdoor concert on Saturday and noticed that the satin finish on my maple neck has worn off in spots near the fretboard. Is this normal wear and tear?

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I'm not sure but I think Lakland necks have an oil finish.
    If this is the case, you may wax (beeswax or warwick wax) regularly - one time a month or so - to prevent finish wear.

Now if your finish is already worn off, you may rub you neck gently with steel wool and then apply a new coat (or more) of tung oil.

JP

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    "It is an oil finish. Keep it clean. We use a scotch-brite pad (gray) to remove any surface dirt - it makes it feel like new. It is very easy/

Dan"

E-mail from Dan himself.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

If it's oil, do what Dan says. If its light lacquer, just let it be. It will eventually feel well worn in an have a great feel. It won't look that great, though

Rob

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The U.S. series basses have an oil finish and need to be maintained. This can be achieved through several methods, but go with what Dan says. However, if you have a Skyline series bass, the finish on the back of the neck will be a satin finish. In theory, you "could" work your way through this finish also, but I doubt it if the bass is new (aren't they all by definition?). Regardless, it is a good idea to keep one of those yellow polishing cloths and some guitar polish in your case. Wipe down the neck every time you play, and you might think about keeping a towel handy to wipe down your fingerboard and strings too.