Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on LEFT HAND according to Rabbath

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Nivaca, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Hi,
    Reading the 3rd vol of the Rabbath method, I find this:
    Does this means that (for example) if I need to play in the G string a C in the (Rabbath) first position I should only use the pinky, without using the other ones behind it as in Simmandl?
    Or if I need to use the middle finger, does this means that the index finger shouldn't be backing it up?

2. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    While i don't study Rabbath... I believe what this is saying is that it is OK to keep your fingers down on notes behind the note you are playing, (ie. if you are playing C on the G string with pinky, you can have your middle on B and index on Bb)... What the real point is, is that you should not double up fingers, like placing your 3rd finger ontop of your pinky to help press it down....

I think that's what he means, however i'm not a rabbath student.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yes it means this but you need to keep in mind certain points:

Rabbath doesn't use heavy strings that are extremely hard to stop it reduces facility
    Rabbath doesn't set his bass up with high action it reduces facility
    Rabbath isn't about the muscles of the hands and body doing any more work than necessary it reduces facility

If you can't stop a string anywhere on the neck with the pinky alone it's no crime it just reduces potential for greater facility on the bass as far as Rabbath is concerned

4. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Thanks a lot. :)

5. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    For his method, Francois has said the weight of the arm, directed through any single digit should be able to fully stop the note.

Therefore, yes.