Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on maple body P-basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rdhbass, Aug 24, 2003.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Do any of you have a maple bodied P-bass? Mine is a mighty mite body and neck and I am presently going to send off my pickups and have them rewound (he's doing it for cheap) and hopefully he can make it bassier to compensate for the trebly maple sound. Do any of you have these problems? What else do ppl do to accent maple basses? thanks.

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Try different strings. I use LaBella Hard Rockin steels and roll of some of the highs. I also use D&R highbeams on another bass. I also go for a larger diameter, 105 or 110 e string. Between strings and amp settings I get plenty of lowend booty out of my 2 maple bodied basses.

3. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Trade it in for an alder body P-bass! It will always sound too bright, no matter what you do. Just my opinion.

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I think I'll have to agree.....

if you need to struggle to make it sound right, why not just go for a different wood?

not being too helpful I suppose.... but it's the bitter truth.

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I guess ya'll are right but this was just a project body and neck and it looks good. A tech is gonna overwind the pickups for me and I may install a neck pickup to go along with the Precision pickup. It will be one interesting bass. And then I may add a J bass pickup close to the bridge, and be able to switch between pickups like a stratocaster guitar. I say when in doubt always improvise. Hehe.