1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question on maple

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by K-Funk, Feb 19, 2008.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    if I have a finished instrument with a figured maple body (flame, quilt, birdseye, etc), over time, will the appearance of the figuring increase or decrease? I have a an old Music Man Stingray with a maple neck, and it has an extraordinary flame figure that seems to have developed with time in certain spots. However, I also own a very unusual Warwick Fortress One in that the maple body has a very prominent flame figure. Basically, I'm just worried about my instruments losing their figuring as time progresses:bawl:. Is this rational? Can I get a quick lesson on figured maple? Thanks!!

2. Hi K-Funk,
    Any figured wood will not 'loose' it's figure over time. Figured woods look like they do because of the way the grain direction is structured on each particular piece. This will not change no matter what you do to the wood. What you may be experiencing is grime and/or sweat obscuring the 3D lightning effect that you tipically see in figured woods and this can be restored by cleaning it up. This will be more of a problem with oil/wax finishes or unfinished areas of the bass (back of the neck) but not at all with film finishes unless it wears off.

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    what problems will arise with oil finishes? Forgive my inexperience; every bass I've owned up to this point has been a poly-finish Fender or Musicman... and here's the 'wick so you can see some flame:
    warwick008.

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Oil finishes are not generally considered "hard" finishes, and the pores of the wood are exposed. This means that the finish will wear faster, turning it dull, and also the pores of the wood will collect dirt/grime/funk. Some people like funk. :D

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Funk AKA mojo. :D

6. mojo AKA disgusting human excretion

7. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    LOL... gives new meaning to Austin Powers': "I'm gonna get my mojo on, baby, yeah!"