Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on metal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Intake59, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Intake59

Intake59

Aug 28, 2000
    Hope everyone is doing well, i have a quick question....can anyone recommend a good metal bass to me.....and if someone says IBANEZ we are gonna go a few rounds...haha.....I right now have an ibanez but really want another bass......i am looking into buying a 5 string warwick for other purposes but would like to know if someone could answer my question....thanks alot

Jon

2. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    well jon, there's nothign wrong with the warwicks, the low end ones are a good buy, but a carvin can handle the job jsut as well- and probably for less cash-, and don't be as quick to rule out the fender P, it seems to be hte lady for any job just about. and if you're into active elcetroncs you can take a look at the ernie's. But remember you gotta play 'em all before you really know for sure.

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play metal and I use a Fender MIA JAzz. Steve Harris plays Fender and he, to me, is the king metal bassist.

4. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Actually Jon any bass that you're comfortable playing will be good for metal. I personnaly use the ESP's. I'll recommend that for metal. But, seriously try different basses out. Pick the one you like and go with it. There really is no bass specifically suited for metal. Unless you buy a BC Rich.:D

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    u know....that warwick would prolly cut the mustard...but, as far as the metal scene goes, lots of B.C. Rich's out there...as well as some Riveras...the jacksons sound pretty good too...I would just stick with the warwick...I don't know if you're really into them or not, but I saw Robin Eaglestone with a warwick thumb bass (it was painted black..."what a waste" is what came to mind), who is Cradle of Filth's bassist....who plays riveras as well...02 from Slipknot plays warwicks too...he uses corvettes and thumbs. Of course, my opinion is biased, because I play a warwick thumb four string, and I love it. Hey, I just remembered...that Gene Simmons Punisher bass is pretty kewl...you could prolly check out bunnybass.com for some basses with various razor blades, power tools, and other implements of pain protruding from them that might be good for your metal desires...hmmmm

6. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    I will tell you that i play a lot of metal music and the P-bass works great. if you are looking for a bass that can take some punishment ( thicker, lower tuned strings, aggressive picking, power fingering, slapping, plucking, etc.), then this is a hell of a bass. i think warwicks are sweet as hell too. go w/ what you like

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have seen lots of scandinavian metal players with Warwicks, they have bit different tone that is nice for metal.. Especially Corvettes are popular.

Have you tried Ibanez BTB's, btw?

8. Steve Harris actually plays a Fender Pbass which has quite a different sound to it.

One of the things you want to consider with metal music is the guitar(s) are going to take up a lot of the sonic frequencies because they normally tend to be 'bass' heavy. One of the reasons I think Steve Harris does well is the fact that although he eq's in a high/low fashion, he plays a Pbass that has a lot of natural mids. The mid-range is what's going to cut through. That is why I would recomend a Pbass. You can obviously eq your amp to emphasize the mids but having a bass that already does that is a good place to start.

9. JMP

JMP

Aug 17, 2000
    Ummm, maybe Intake59 was really referring to those old, what were they(?) Kramer basses with the aluminum necks....

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Lemmy from Motorhead plays a Rickenbacker. Jason from metallica plays anything from MM Stingrays, Sadowskys, and Spectors. The guy from Megadeth plays Modulus and Musicman. The guy from Chains plays Spector and Warwick. The guy from Papa Roach plays a Lakland. Sam from Limp Bizkit plays an Ibanez BTB usually...

What kind of metal are you playing?
    There seems to be a bass for every style... and they all cost a fortune. IMO, use any bass, get a loud amp, and use a thick pick. It'll work ;)