Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on my Fender Jazz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Morales, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    Just received my new Am Series Fender Jazz. Two questions - the sustain doesn't seem as good as my Fender P or my Stingray (both amplified and unamplified) Is this normal?. I know its supposed to be noticeably thinner than the P sound but the sustain is pretty short. Also - there's a bit of buzzing above the 5th fret when I push hard on it - could be because of the temperature change during transport (west coast to east coast). Is this normal?

Love the neck on it just wondering if the thinner sound w/less sustain is normal. If so I guess I just have to get used to the Jazz sound. The whole tone, resonance feels cheap compared to my Stingray - that could just be because the 'Ray is well over 10lbs though.

Trying to figure out whether or not to return the Jazz.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably needs a setup.

3. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    So I shouldn't send it back? I have 30 days to return - bought through internet.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree with Figjam, it probably needs a few minor adjustments. Once it's settled in, you'll have a nice addition to your 'Ray and P-Bass.

If it just arrived to you from a different climate, it may just need to adjust to it's new surrondings, this can take a few days. After it's been in your home for a few days, if you're still experiencing buzzes and/or choked notes, the trussrod and bridge saddles may need to be adjusted. If you're not comfortable making these adjustments yourself, find the best shop in your area and have them do a 'setup' on your bass.

Also, crank both of your pickups up all the way. If it has the S-1 switch button in your neck pickup's volume control, push it in. Listen to the sound, then push it back out. Listen to the sound again. Mess around with your tone control too.

I think once it's setup and you're familiar with it's controls, you're really going to enjoy it.

- Art

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree 100% with the others, but would just add that some basses might "learn to sing" with playing time. My 2004 MIA P-bass seemed tight when new, but it's opened up a bit since then. I know some disagree on this point, and a setup will probably make a much bigger difference anyway.

6. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    So, it sounds like I should keep it and maybe just get it set-up. Is there any adjustments I can make to it or should I just bring it to the local shop?

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Raising the bridge saddles to adjust your string height is pretty simple. I'm pretty sure info on neck reilef and trussrod adjustments can be found in the "Set-ups" section.

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Buzzing above the 5th fret might indicate that the action is too low for your playing style. You could try raising the saddles a bit. Unplugged, there should be little or no difference in sustain between a P or a J, but various wood and hardware variances can cause one bass to sing and another to be a dud. Do a search for set-up, but I do it this way.
    Adjust the truss rod until you could put a credit card between the E string and 5th fret when the string touches the 1st and 12th frets. A neck needs this 'relief' to make room for the vibrating string. Too little relief and you'll get buzzing below the 5th fret. Don't turn the rod more than1/4 to 1/2 turn per day. Let the neck 'settle in'. Raise or lower the saddles for comfortable action with no buzz. Them's the basics. :D :D
    I played a P for 30 years, but my new Jazz is going to the grave with me. Be patient.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    There is a sticky at the top of the setup and repair forum that gives you the basic instructions on how to do a proper setup. I suggest you get it done by a professional the first time and ask if you can watch.

10. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  11. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    Thanks. To make it more complicated - I just checked my budget - either the Jazz must go back or I have to sell my Stingray (a friend of mine will probably buy it). Which one will I regret getting rid of the least? Anyone part with a Jazz or a 'Ray - did you regret it?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont part with the ray.

13. No matter which one you get rid of, you'll regret it!

14. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That, my friend, is a million dollar question that only you can answer.

15. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

dont think about it, it wont help at all, all it does is make you feel stupid later when you regret it.:D

as people have said, you will regret both. are you sure there is no way to have both? maybe sell something unrealated to bass.

16. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    Nah - one must go. The only alternative would be to return the Jazz - and use the difference (the Jazz was $200 more than the 'Ray) to buy a MIM Jazz so I can have both. Again the Ray sounds better to me and also feels alot more solid but the Jazz neck is great.

17. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

what about using the differance to get a sx and mod it out?

18. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    they make cheap Precision and Jazz copies, do a search on the forums for "essex"

19. That would seem to be your answer right there. If you don't like the sound it doesn't matter how nice the neck is you'll always be unsatisfied. Either is pretty easily replaceable if you decide you made a mistake selling one.