Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on my new ampeg setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smitcat, Sep 16, 2003.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    hey everyone, i have a couple questions on my new setup, which consists of an ampeg classic 4x10 and classic 1x15, with ampeg b2r as a head (i know its the lowest model, but its all i could afford at that time). my questions are, will the head not put out as much as far as tone goes, and what are good ways to set the equilizer. i have a peavey cirrus 5 string, and i love it, i just put new dr lowriders on it, and sometimes the highs seem to stick out a little to much,and it gets twangy. i know the strings add a little to it, but i want a nice deep tone overall. any suggestions? also, sorry this is confusing, but i have to go to work.
    =smitcat=

2. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    Turn the tweeter on the 4x10 down or off. There should be a control on the back of the cab. Just go easy on the high frequencies on the EQ, and make sure you're sending the amp a good signal to work with. Set everything flat and then add or subract frequencies in small ammounts until you find the sound you're looking for. I think most of old-timers on this board will agree that the more experienced your ears get, the less you use EQ. The B2R is not a terrible amp, and those cabs are very solid. You should be able to find a sound you like.

3. I use a B2 combo amp and seldom use the graphic EQ. I play in a blues band and I like a lot of bottom. I use the bass, ultra-mid and treble controls 90%+ of the time and I keep the limiter on. I only use the graphic if I'm in a room where it is difficult to get a good sound (like where something in the room buzzes unless I cut a certain frequency). The B2 is a good amp; I get better tone from it than I did from an SVT3PRO or a Hartke 3500. YMMV.