question on my new ampeg setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smitcat, Sep 16, 2003.

1. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    hey everyone, i have a couple questions on my new setup, which consists of an ampeg classic 4x10 and classic 1x15, with ampeg b2r as a head (i know its the lowest model, but its all i could afford at that time). my questions are, will the head not put out as much as far as tone goes, and what are good ways to set the equilizer. i have a peavey cirrus 5 string, and i love it, i just put new dr lowriders on it, and sometimes the highs seem to stick out a little to much,and it gets twangy. i know the strings add a little to it, but i want a nice deep tone overall. any suggestions? also, sorry this is confusing, but i have to go to work.
  2. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Turn the tweeter on the 4x10 down or off. There should be a control on the back of the cab. Just go easy on the high frequencies on the EQ, and make sure you're sending the amp a good signal to work with. Set everything flat and then add or subract frequencies in small ammounts until you find the sound you're looking for. I think most of old-timers on this board will agree that the more experienced your ears get, the less you use EQ. The B2R is not a terrible amp, and those cabs are very solid. You should be able to find a sound you like.
  3. I use a B2 combo amp and seldom use the graphic EQ. I play in a blues band and I like a lot of bottom. I use the bass, ultra-mid and treble controls 90%+ of the time and I keep the limiter on. I only use the graphic if I'm in a room where it is difficult to get a good sound (like where something in the room buzzes unless I cut a certain frequency). The B2 is a good amp; I get better tone from it than I did from an SVT3PRO or a Hartke 3500. YMMV.