1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Neck Radius

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Nov 19, 2006.

1. this is a rather neophyte question..so bear with me.

I have a Mike Lull M4V bass, and it has a 12" radius neck. One of my few quibbles about the bass is that the neck is a little chunkier than I like. Does that mean I'd be happier with a 9" radius neck? What the whole radius thing really mean in terms of how the bass neck feels?

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bigger the radius, the flatter the fretboard. Since it's just the curve of the fretboard, it'll have very little to do with how chunky the neck feels. That'd be more of a neck profile thing.

And, if it feels chunky, you'd want a bigger radius, anyway. Bigger the radius, flatter the board. I.e. 16" is flatter than 12" is flatter than 9".

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Less shoulder = less chunky

4. how is "shoulder" measured?

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Imagine these as crossections through the neck with the fretboard being on top (not shown).

More shoulder will resemble U

while less shoulder looks more like V

They can have the same width and thickness, but the V-shaped neck will feel smaller.

Don't really know how to measure it.

Neck radius might be the radius of the fretboard - doesn't really add or subtract from chunkiness. Some people like a smaller radius, some like them flat (0 radius). Some feel that a smaller radius is more natural feeling. The larger the radius, the closer it is to being flat.