1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question on necks.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fenderjazz7, Jun 15, 2007.

1. fenderjazz7

fenderjazz7

Mar 9, 2007
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have Fender Standard Jazz V Bass 5 String Bass (mexican) and it has 20 medium jumbo frets. I was wondering if there is any possible way I can get a 24 fret FENDER JAZZ neck..? Can anyone help me on this please? (im new here pls dont bash lol)

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Have you checked Warmoth?

3. fenderjazz7

fenderjazz7

Mar 9, 2007
    i will actually do that, thanks for the suggestion!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I am pretty sure that 24 fret replacement necks won't work for a 20 fret bass. You will definitely want to look into it before you plop down your cash. And even if they have a neck that works, it will involve some kind of overhang that goes over the body, and it'll be hard to reach those frets. You're going to be better off selling it and just buying a 24 fret Jazz bass. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    True, you'd probably have to extend the neck pocket.

6. there ARE necks with extensions on them...don't know if they make them for your situation and regardless, access to the upper frets would be REALLY difficult on a bass originally built for a 20 frets...not worth the bother IMO...

7. fenderjazz7

fenderjazz7

Mar 9, 2007
    hmm, well i do appreciate your suggestions. I think I will just stick to the 20 fret and buy a 24 fret later.. I was thinking of saving up some cash and ordering a MusicMan Sting Ray.. we'll see, thanks everyone!!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Stingray's 22 frets.

9. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1. The new 24 fret 5'er that Fender just put out is pretty sweet. Not to mention the cost of a Warmoth neck (around 2 bills)... Yo might be better off looking into a new bass altogether. The 24 V would give you upgraded pickups & electronics, a nicely figured top, Hipshot licensed tuning keys, etc... all for a few hundred more than a Standard Jazz.

I'm just saying... ;)

10. i have one, its 21.

11. fenderjazz7

fenderjazz7

Mar 9, 2007
    I played a 22 fret monday at my local guitar center...$1700 :rollno: i thought they were 24 fret... and yea they are 22 frets..well the sting ray 5's..

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021