Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Patchbay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Sep 13, 2003.

1. I have a question on using a patchbay to transfer the signal from a line mixer to the front input on a preamp.

In a rack, if I was to take the output from a line mixer and plug it into the back of the patchbay and run a cable out the front of the patchbay to the input on the preamp, would this work?

I'm trying to avoid leaving an open space to run the cable to the front of the rack.

I would also like to plug the basses into the front of the patchbay and run the bay to the line mixer so I don't have to plug in and out of the line mixer all the time.

Sorry for the long post but patchbays kind've confuse me. :meh:

Thanks for the time.

2. It would work, but you will have to do some MAJOR doctoring of the preamp's gain steup, since it wants to see a very low instrument level and you'll be sending it a line level signal. Chances are you'll overdrive your preamp unless you turn it very low; a preamp usually isn't designed to handle an already amplified signal.

That's a whole 'NOTHER can of worms! Patchbay wiring is not standardized so that routing can be easily customized. Dependant on the brand and whether or not the connection itself is full, half, or non-normalled, it may or may not work. the only sure way to tell is to try it.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if your bass has a really hot output, you might try it. Usually running an instrument level signal through a patchbay is asking for hum, noise and all sorts of other goodies getting in your sound that wouldn't be there otherwise.

What's the line mixer for? It seems to me you could get rid of it, get a good A/B box and send one instrument level signal to the preamp and forego all the extra routing while having two basses plugged up at all times. If you have more than two basses,look for an A/B/C box or simply chain two or more A/B boxes together to accomodate the number of instruments you'll be using. Are you running a synth through your bass rig?