1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Peavey Minx 110 EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Nov 18, 2006.

1. I have a quick question on the EQ on the Peavey Minx 110. In the manual it says that the bass mid and treble are passive controls. Does this mean that the only thing they do is cut at the designated frequency? If so, then to set the amp "flat", you'd have to turn the controls all the way on, right (all the way clockwise)? If not, how do you set a passive EQ flat? Thanks!

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    To get the EQ dead flat, you'd have to turn the low and high controls almost all the way down and turn the mid control all the way up.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't know. They don't sound passive to me on my old one, but they could be. I don't know where flat would be. I just set them where they gove me a good sound. With a P bass and thomastic flats I set bass a notch above dead center, mids at dead center and cut the treble a bit. That's at my home practice volume. If I have to push the amp loud I cut back on the bass a bit.

I've got a Yorkville XM50C and with that amp, to get much the same sound I have the bass at dead center, mid at 2 o'clock and treble at 10 o'clock.

With my Walkabout with the Scout cabinet I have bass about 11 o'clock, mids at 1 o'clock and treble at 10 oclock, with the horn tweeter cut quite a bit. I rarely use the semi-parametric EQ.

Anyhow, if you want a reference sound that's dead flat, you won't get it from most of these combos or heads and for sure not most cabinets. I've played many times through studio monitors with no EQ shaping and to me the sound is very dull and uninspiring. It's not the sound I'd use with a band for playing my role of supporting the bottom end.

This is a lot more of an answer than you asked for. I tend to ramble a bit. :oops:

4. Almost all the way down, but not all the way down? Why is that? And where is almost...1..2..3 :)....since you work for Peavey and all... Thanks for the answer!

5. I'm not looking for a "flat" sound - I just like to start from the flat position on any amp I play. I like to know what the amp sounds like without any EQ coloring before I start adding it. Thanks for the answer!