Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on pickup buzzing from different volumes

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by whed15, Jan 13, 2004.

1. whed15

whed15

Jan 9, 2004
    I recently bought a jazz style bass and noticed that when i play, i normally have both the neck and bridge pickup volumes all the way up it sounds really good and there is no buzzing or humming at all. But when i want to change either the neck or bridge volume any lower than what the other volume is at, there will be a very noticible humming. When i lower both of the volumes to the same volume, they dont hum but again when i change the volume any different from the other, there is a humming. What might be causing this, is it anything that i can fix or replace? Could it be a pot problem or pickup problem. All electronics are stock, so that could have an effect on this. I do plan on putting all new pickups and pots eventually. Wadda ya think?

thanks

2. basically when both pups are at the same level they buck hum in each other due to reverse windings and polarities....thats how leo got rid of hum on the P...he split the coil and then when the jazz was produced...hey presto two wider and narrower single coils in different places...same theory
    you need to identify where the hum is coming from ...could be from a close electrical piece of equipment.
    if its objectionable it may be that you would benefit from quiet pups like the bartolinis which are separate humbuckers in themselves...
    but before this also check out the wiring if you can...its a usual place for troubles but how wiring goes by itself always mystified me..but if you tinker well something can happen
    its easy to check the jazz as thoughtfully the controls are on a removeable plate..good idea...you can do this with a P as well but some people dont like to see their precious scratchplates cut..just scuffed...
    first things first ...find the source of the hum if you can and then move on if you cant eradicate it.
    :cool:

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Before you go ripping out your pickups, check the "guitar wiring" section on guitarnuts.com.

And search Google under "star grounding".