Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on port location...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Nov 23, 2005.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    One of my cabs is a Peavey 115bx Bw, and it usually sits on top of a Paradise Soundworks cab loaded with another 15" Black Widow... Awhile ago, I decided that the Peavey cab looked better in my stack while turned on it's side(it's taller than it is wide) - this arrangement put the port more to the side of the speaker, rather than under it, as it would be, if placed upright on it's feet... Today, I took turns with it on it's side, then upright - and it *seemed* like it projected more bass when placed on it's feet(upright), instead of on it's side - like I have been using it...

Does the port work "better" if it's under the speaker(as originally intended), or will it work the same off to the side of the speaker??? Just wondering if my ears are playing tricks on me...

- georgestrings

2. This is probably partly due to the fact that the cab was designed to be on its feet. I don't think where the port is oriented has any affect on the sound, but I could be wrong.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The orientation would change the sound if it changes the distance from the port to the floor. The closer to the floor the more reinforcement will be gained.

4. +1

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Thanks for the input, Bill - here's the thing:

It's actually sitting on top of my bottom cab, which would place it about 30" off the ground... That being said, when it's on it's feet, the port IS closer to the top of the bottom cab, which would place it closer to the ground - by about 3 or 4 inches, as opposed to it's relative position when it's on it's side... I suppose it *could* be my imagination, but I swear it felt like it was projecting more bass by being put upright, as Peavey originally intended - it just doesn't look as good that way... Oh well - and thanks again for your input...

- georgestrings

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks, CrazySean and MuzikMan, also...

- georgestrings

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    30" off the floor will get a reflective null at 115 Hz, just within the frequency range of what's coming out of the port. A few inches this way or that will move the null and could very well make the cab sound quite different.