Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on pre-amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Oct 15, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ok this will seem like a stupid question to a lot of you but it has been bugging me for a long time. if you buy a pre-amp like an ampeg svp pre-amp or a gk 2001RBP pre-amp and pair it with any power amp will you get the same sound as you would expect to get with its relative head eg. with the ampeg svp, if it was paired with for exmple a gemini pa power amp will you get the same sound which is associated with the SVT3 or SVT4 etc. Again i know t sounds like a stupid question but i was just wondring.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as the preamp in the head is exactly the same the answer would be yes. Some manufaturers have npreamps that differer somewhat from head to head, and from theire stand alone preamps. In most cases they tend to sound similar enough that the difference is subtle. Some companies offer preamps (standalone or in the heads) that are very different. I think for the most part the current ampeg preamps are pretty similar in sound. I have no experience with the gemini poweramp. (never heard of it). I'd run that choice by a bunch of people here. There's a reason that cheap poweramps are cheap.

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I use an SVP-Pro pre through an RMX 850. Sounds pretty similar to a SVT-4Pro. Way cheaper than buying a head, but I didn't the built in compressor that SVT-4Pro has.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, yes and no. The power amp sometimes has a lot to do with the sound that's being delivered to the speakers. That would be especially true of a tube power amp. If you change from a tube power amp to a solid state power amp, all other things being equal (including the preamp), expect a slightly different sound, and some noticeable differences in the dynamics. In a tube power amp, when you dial up the volume, the tubes start to "crunch", which you can hear on the old JPJ and Entwhistle sounds, and it can be a big part of the gestalt. On a solid state amp, you can't really get crunch like that out of the power amp section (ie you end up depending entirely on the preamp for tube crunch), but you can get a lot more clean headroom if you have enough power. If you like to slap for instance, maybe a solid state power amp would give you more of the dynamic attack you're looking for, who knows. But as long as you stay "within" one genre or the other (tube, or solid state), the answer to your question is probably a qualified "yes", various power amps should sound "more or less" the same with the same preamp.