1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question on Proper Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LilRay, Apr 23, 2009.

1. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I've got a 62 AVRI P Bass, that I had a bone nut installed and complete setup. Two concerns or things I've never seen before, one is the string spacing is way uneven, especially with the A and D strings . From the E string to the A is the same and from the D string to the G is the same but between the A and D strings they are probably a good 1/8th or more wider (At Least) than the other at the pickup. Those two strings even out(somewhat) toward the nut but get wider from each other toward the bridge. Also the other concern is the pickup height. The split coil crowns at the A and D strings, with the outsides of each coil even with the body. I've never seen a Precision Pickup that far from being level.

Is it common for string spacing/ pickup height to be this way or is there legitimately something off.

I don't know if the nut is slotted incorrectly, the neck got adjusted incorrectly, or the saddles are off, or if something is wrong with the guitar itself.

Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate any insight from you guys.

Thanks and God Bless, Ray

2. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Three Hour Bump

God Bless, Ray

3. Man I don't know, your description was kinda confusing, are the spaces even at the nut? Are the spaces even at the bridge? can you take some pictures of what you are talking about so we can see?

4. 1) The strings should have the same amount of gap between them, evenly at the nut and at the bridge slots. Don't measure from the middle of the string - measure from the outer edge of one to the outer edge of the other. If the slots in either the bridge or nut weren't spaced to compensate for string guage thickness, it'll be uneven, with more space between the G and D, less between the E and A, and right in the middle between the A and D.

2) Any stagger from the pickup is usually set to match the radius of the fingerboard and the bridge, and then adjusted - SLIGHTLY - to allow a little more room towards the E string, to keep the magnetic field from affecting the string vibration. Again, this should be a slight adjustment, and is usually done by ear and by feel, but shouldn't be anything extreme.

I'd worry about the string spacing thing first - sounds like your tech may have done a poor job spacing things out correctly.

5. very few people make the spacings between strings even...
    the biggest problem is that when they design the bass they take string measurements from center to center of the string and we all know that strings are different gauges!!!
    i measure and design my spacings from side to side of the string and i always use adjustable bridges...

even if you have and old bridge you can set them even apart... they will stay in place from the pressure of the strings...