Question on recording LPs onto the PC...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Oct 6, 2002.

1. I want to archive albums onto CDs. I would like to record to WAV files on the PC. I have a good turntable and phono preamp. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.

What software should I use? Any tips?

2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Personally, I prefer Nero - can handle just about anything.
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I think he's asking about ripping the LPs to WAVs, not burning them.

I would use something like Cool Edit Pro. You can get a 21 day demo off of
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    That means converting to WAVs AND burning to CDs.
  5. You could try DartPro32. It allows you to record any source in as a wave file. You can do a whole album side at a time. It then recognizes the periods of silence between tunes, and breaks it up into the indivdual songs again.

Also has utilities for taking the hiss and pops out. Then you can burn to CD.
  6. Thanks for all the help so far.

I guess I should add that I'm looking for as professional result as possible with my equipment.

7. Cool Edit would work well, but a program like Goldwave might just do the job. I'd add that you should use an external A/D converter and use your sound card's S/PDIF inputs if it has any.
  8. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    I suggest Magix Audio Cleaning Lab from - I've used Dart 32 for Audio Restoration but for simple yet very powerful Vinyl to CD the Magix is the best I've found.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I do the same thing, I use SoundForge from Sonic FOundry for creating the WAV files. The basic “lite” version SoundForge XP should work fine for you, I highly recommend it.