Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Ric finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matrok, Jan 14, 2006.

1. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Back in the early 80's I was hunting for a Ric and found one in a store that was beautiful. I thought of it as a Tobacco Sunburst. It played awesome and I was in love. Told them to hold it for me (they knew me pretty well), but when I came back the next day with the cash, it was gone. I was really bummed, finally found a black one that was cool and life went on. Now I'd like to find a pic of that finish, but haven't been able to. Anybody know what it was called and where some pics might be?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You were most likely looking at a 4001 finished in Walnut. If it had a glossy shine to it then it would be Walnut for sure.

If the bass had a satin finish appearance then it would have been Autumnglo. Both were available during the mid to late 70's and are difficult to tell apart as they both have that same "Tobacco Burst" appearance that you mentioned.

Here's a pic of the back of my 1977 Walnut 4001.

Is this the finish that you remember?

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the front.

[​IMG]

If there was red to yellow appearance then it would be Fireglo which is Rickenbacker's version on Sunburst.

TD

3. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    both of those colors are discontinued and somewhat hard to find, but you'll still find some Montezuma Brown from the past couple of years and it looks similar to Autumnglo and Walnut

here's one for sale at Mike Park's site
    [​IMG]

4. That was my old Ric 4001, 1976 autumnglo, satin finish.

Attached Files:

• r27.jpg
      r27.jpg
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
  5. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    None of those are quite what I remember, but we are talking a good 22 years so I guess my memory could be faulty. Certainly didn't go to black, and it seems like a more light yellow to brown. As I said, could be a faulty memory at work here.

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    you guys really aint helping my ricky GAS

funky_tone likes this.
  7. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I guess I am not remembering correctly. I don't see anything like what I remember. I do remember a lot of grain showing through, could have been autumn glo I guess. I also don't see any like the Fretless I had for a short time. It was the candy apple red, no burst. My fretted was a jetglo, boy did I love that bass.