Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question on set ups....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Feb 14, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    say if i have a p-bass, and its set up really low. when i hit the E and the F notes on the E string, would it distort because of that? or because of the amp?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    also, if i play really hard, should i get a higher set uP/ cause its pretty low right now.

3. If you play hard, higher action is what you need. Like you said, if you hit the F note on the E string and its some weird distorted sound, then the action is too low. I had this problem with my alverez, but a quick rise of the strings, and adjustement of the truss rod, now my bass plays like butter. :hyper:
    So, yeah, raise the strings a bit. Also, the higher your strings are, you will get better sounding notes. At least that's what I think, not 100% sure though.

4. as long as you arnt getting fret buzz and like the action where it is at you could lower the pickups

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    word, thanks. i do a full set up myself because the saddle height adjustment screws have been stripped(nice of fender to give me stripped ones right?) so i am bringing it anyway to taker care of a set up. i usually set up my basses with the action on the high side but for some reason i havent had this new one set up yet, but it just started doing it like a week asgo, so im thinking i also need tubes replaced in my pre amp.

oh well, i have to do both anyway.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so it could also be the pick ups doing this? jesus mickey!!!!

yesh, i like the set up. i do get fret buzz, but not when i play it through the amp. i just get a bit of distortion on the E and F notes. oh well, ill have my guy give it a set up and a once over.

7. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    If you have active type pups check the battery. First sign of it going dead is distortion and cutout then it quits altogether.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Preamp tubes really shouldn't need replaced...unless it's quite a few years old with loads of hours on it.

Ray

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    its a p-bass, no actives.

also, the tubes are like 3 years old. probably over 1000 hours easy.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    They should be fine, really. I don't own it, but my friend on the hall way has an SWR amp with a pre tube, it's over 5 years old, and he gigs constantly, and is the original tube.
    I'd say look into fretbuzz, that's most likely your culprit here.

Ray

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah im just going to raise the action and lower the pick ups a tiny bit and see if that does the trick. i still ned a set up, but ill do it to try it for tomorrow.