Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rob_d, Jul 8, 2002.

1. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, but I have a question about the sound on my basses. I have a Fender Jazz Bass(Marcus Miller), and a Curbow fretless as my two main instruments. I use a Hartke 4x10 and a Hartke 3500 amp. I notice on both basses that my two low strings sound fine and get through the mix well in live situations. However, on both basses the D and G strings sound really thin in comparison. If I turn up to get a good sound on those strings usually my E and A end up sounding too loud. I'm not sure if this is in the basses, or the amp. I try all sorts of EQ settings but I can't get away from the weaker sound on the higher strings on either bass. It's more prevalent in the fretless incidentally. I'm not using compression, would this help for live situations? Do I need another cabinet? Perhaps a single 12 or 15? Thanks for any advice.

2. Could they need setup?:confused: Honestly, that's the only thing that came to mind.:oops:

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Setup sounds possible - maybe adjusting the action (height of the strings above the fretboard), they may be too high, you could also adjust the end of the pickups that cover those strings - move the pole pieces closer to the strings.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree, a setup is probaly all you need. I once had the same exact problem with the G string of my fretless. Lowering the action made all the difference.

5. does your hartke head have any kind of control for the higher sounds( like D and G strings). I have a GK and it has a low mid control and High mid control and when theres not enough high sound i usually turn the high mid control up and that fixes the problem. I know you said you messed with the EQ but is your EQ set so that it gets a lot of low end sound but doesint get a lot of the high end sound from both basses? I cant think of anything else that would fix this. Try what bassplayer7770 and Johnny Boom Boo said first then mess wit the Eq more and if that doesint work :confused:

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    along with a setup and maybe raising your pup(s) on the D&G side, try working on your eq. Boosting the mids especially in a live setting will allow your bass to be clearer and give you a more defined sound.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    1. Pro setup with pickup adjustment.
    2. Fine tune amp.
    3. String replacement.
    4. New bass.