Question on speaker frequencies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluebyrd, May 10, 2003.

1. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Hi All. I have been looking at 15" cabs and 4x10" cabs, trying to decide which to get. I'll be running an Acoustic 370 for now, but plan to get a more modern head or rig soon. I play a four string bass.

The question is: according to the specs on these cabs, most 4x10's have a lower frequency range than most 15" cabs. Does that mean the 10's would sound deeper, and give a better "15" sound than a 15"? I like that warm, deep sound of a 15, but if a 4x10 will get warmer and deeper, than I'll go that route. It seems most 15's are between 40-42 to 4k or so, and most 4x10's are around 38-40 to 4 k or higher. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Specs only tell part of the story. Mostly 10's will sound like 10's, i.e. punchy and aggressive. 15's will mostly sound round and warm. It has to do with the way the cone responds to different frequencies. They have a different envelope.
  3. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    ok BFunk.... so 4x10's won't get as warm and deep as a 15". That's good to know before I spend the money. Thanks for the info. I'll probably end up with a single 15 with a horn. Thanks again. :)
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Pay close attention to how those specs are quoted; there is a big difference between "useable from 40-4000" and "+/- 2 db 40-4000".

Until you can quote the specs on the same yardstick, you can't really compare very effectively. I would normally expect to see 1x15's with a lower frequency response than a 4x10 and roll off badly above 2k without a horn. There is no reason 4x10's can't go as low as 15's; it's purely up to the designer.
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Most 1x15 have less lows than a 4x10 because of less volume.
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    A 4x10 has more cone area and so has the theoretical capability to be louder.

However, many of the commercial cabinets are tuned pretty high so that they don't put out much energy in the lowest octave. They are plenty loud from 60hz on up.

Low and loud are a trade off in cabinet design; you get one or the other but not both.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe - but if you plotted a graph of each cab, you'd find that the 15 is pumping out more volume at 40hz that the 4x10. The 4x10 is likely to be at least 6dB quieter (that's a lot).

A mate of mine walked into my place recently with a Hi-Fi sub and asked me to build a cab for it. He bought it because it said "usable frequencies 30hz to 2k". I'll telling you now, that sub was doing very little indeed at 30hz. Marketing at it's best
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i was hung up on frequency response for a while and then i discovered somthing wonderful - my ears
    ya just gotta listen to a lotta cabs and a/b them
    andd yes, some cabs that put out a lot of low end dont put out the volume
    the size of the speakers and the cabinet design have huge impact on the sound, i have found 10's to have smoother lows, but the 15s have a lot of character
    personally, i'm a big fan of mixing cabinets to get the best sound
    right now i'm using a bagend 1x15, a bagend 1x12 and an aguilar 1x12 all at the same time (i have a stereo rig) and it sounds gigantic