Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on speakers, wattage, ohms, etc...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by addylewis, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Hi - I'm getting a Groove 1200 head (yay for me :hyper: :bassist: !)

But I've found the cabs are quite expensive, so I was thinking about buying a cheap 2x12 (my dad already thinks the 1x15 combo I take to gigs is too big) and putting in speakers that'd pump out 800w at 4 ohms...

How would I go about it in terms of ohms and wattage? - what speakers would I need? - does the volume half if the ohmage is halved?

So I thought I'd ask the Xperts! ;) :D

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well for you, you'd probably want to look at 4 ohm,

As for the 115 being too big. Typically a 212 and a 115 are quite comparable in size. As for cheap effective cabinets, I'd look into Dr. Bass Cabinets (drbasscabs.com) or Avatar (avatarspeakers.com)

3. Another question...

theoretically, would 2 8ohm 400w speakers wired in PARALLEL give me 800w volume out of my Groove head?

...It'd turn them into a 4 ohm load, and it supposedly gives off 800 watts at that ohmage... :D

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

if your 2 speakers are 8ohm 400W speakers, that means each one can handle up to 400W. together in parallel, you have 4ohms and the ability to handle 800W. now it's depending on how many watts your amp head can pump out at 4ohms which determine the power wattage it gives out.

5. cool - should be a portable loud solution then.

The Groove head supposedly gives out

1200w@2,
    800w@4, and
    500w@8 ohms

It's a 1200watt head, so...

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Be careful not to confuse wattage with sound level, which is measured in decibels (dB). All that 800 watt rating tells you is how much power the speakers can take before they burn out; it tells you next to nothing about how loud they will play. There are no accurate industry measuring standards that will tell you precisely how one speaker compares to another, so it's always a good idea to try before you buy to be sure of getting what you want.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you are going to build your own 2x12, read the thread in my sig. Bill Fitzmaurice above was very helpful in that project.

You may also consider the steelsound 2x12 cab, which is value priced and reviewed in this forum on an active thread.
    That one is about the same cost as building your own,
    and is getting a decent review in its niche.