question on spectors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pesci1313, Jul 16, 2001.

1. i was wondering. a czech spector(figured maple) retails for about 1800 and a usa bolt on swamp ash with jazz pickups retails for 1900. what are the real advantages of the usa model? the czech has all the features that would cause a price increase in that usa model(maple, neck thru) and yet it costs less. part of this is obviously the american made vs made in europe, but how much, and how completely does this make a difference?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have never played a usa model. i played a czech 5 string and this is a really professional instrument. two real emg soapbar pickups, emg electronic, neck through body, maple and figured maple top. excellent bass. the only 'bad' aspect of mine is that the bass weights. it's heavi but well balanced thanks to the sculpted body. unfortunately i have to sell mine here in italy for the corrispective of 900 us $.
  3. There are a couple differences. For starters, the Czech has two EMG soapbar pickups. The american on the other hand has either the option of having two Jazz pickups or on the 5 string, you can get it with one Soapbar and one jazz, but you can't have it done with two soapbars. So that depends on what you want, whether you want Jazz pickups or soapbars. The second difference is that the American has the option to have an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp installed, for an extra price, but it adds much to the sound and if you get the american, you gotta got that. The Czech only has the EMG preamp which you can not have changed, unless you have it done privately after the bass is constructed. The Czech has the neck-through body which will lead to longer sustain than the bolt-on can achieve, but that all depends on how much sustain you personally want anyway. The czech also has a countored body so for those of us with some what of a gut, it curves around you're belly so you aren't uncomfortable. On the american, you can also have it made with Swamp Ash as oppose to the maple, swamp ash is an extremely light wood and will lead to a lot less strain on the body of the player. I would recommend swamp ash if you get a fretless, because it sounds great with the fretless, and you don't have to be in pain after a gig. Also, the fact that you can have the American made fretless from the start is a big plus if you're a fretless player. The Czech, if you want look, and you play fretted, now is being made with the "crown" pearl inlays. And lastly, from what i can think, the American has a lifetime warrenty and the Czech has a 3 year. Well, i hope i helped. :)
  4. Also, the Czech has gold harware where as the American has black hardware. Also, the American can be done in a high gloss finish or an oil finish, where as the Czech is just a high gloss finish.
  5. jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    Do the two have different sounds, or are they relatively the same?
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    They'll sound different. Like said b4, the Czech is all maple w/a neck thru. The USA had an option of maple or ash body, different P/U's, option of a different pre-amp & is a bolt on. I have a Czech & a USA (both neck thru's) & the difference is minimal. The USA playes ALOT better but the sound is very close even though they have different pre-amp's.

If you can play both, do an A/B comparison. I've played the USA bolt-on & liked it very much but didn't compare it to one of my Spector's. The neck on the USA bolt-on is much better than the Czech's.
  7. yeah, like i think that when i decide to go and get a fretless made, as oppose to having one defretted, i'm going to just get a swamp ash Bolt-on american spector, 5 string, with just 2 jazz pickups. I think that as a fretless, it sounds even more amazing, but that's just my opinion.
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Prepair to wait a very long time to get it! It will be worth hte wait but you might pull all your hair out before you get it!