Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on TFunk and Schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Hey everyone, looking to upgrade my rig and have my heart set on a Thunderfunk paired with a Schroeder 1210 cab. I have read that the Schroeders are indeed very efficient, and therefore loud, but are they efficient enough to produce sufficient volume with the Thunderfunk? As most of you know, the TFunk is rated at 400 watts, and the 1210 cab is rated at 850 watts RMS. To me this sounds like the 400 watts would be too little despite the Schroeders efficiency. My current rig is a Genz-Benz GBE400 head into a Genz-Benz XB2 2X10 cab...this head is about 330 watts at 4 ohms and the cab is a 4 ohm cab with a power rating of 350 watts RMS. I don't really need to be any louder than this setup, so as long as the TFunk and Schroeder would produce at least as much volume as this setup or more, I know I'll be a happy camper. Any insight on this? Thanks for the help!

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've used the Schroeder 1210 and Thunderfunk together on a lot of gigs........great combo IMHO :cool:

3. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Jerry, how loud do you usually have to get? I do gigs in auditoriums that can seat 500 people or so for my jazz big band (the entire band except the drums are usually mic'd) and sometimes I have PA support but other times I don't. My current rig cuts it fine when I need it to, and generally the PA support is just used to help me fill out the room and give me more presence, not really for the sake of being heard. Other times I need to compete with a 4 to 5 piece group...think two guitarists playing out of Fender Hotrod Deluxes, a drummer, and a keyboardist. I don't know if you have any experience with Genz-Benz stuff, but you obviously have experience with the same exact rig I'm considering. As long as it can be loud enough for most situations I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it, I suppose I could always buy a poweramp and add another cab later on if I feel the need

4. Well, I got the exact same combo you'r asking about....

.....next week!

Jorg just sent my cab yesterday, and boy am I exited:)
    From what I've heard it should be a great combination. Can't tell until I've tried it, though....

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree with Smash...the Thunderfunk's 400 watt rating is much louder than my SWRSM400 or SVT3Pro at the same rating. For me it's according to club size, I also use my 1210 with a 1212 and Demeter/QSCPLX when I want to go medieval ;)

6. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Sweet man! By all means get back to me once you receive it! I hope it blows your mind (and the bowels out of unsuspecting pansy guitarists!) ;)

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you want a little extra margin of comfort (..or whould that be DIScomfort?), why not go with the TFB550 500-watt Model?

Joe

8. So does I! :p
    I'll let you know once I've gigged with it! Right now it has departed from Paris, according to the Fedex tracking.
    I can't wait to finally have a rig again....

9. I'm about to order a 1210, too. Are Schroeders getting famous in Europe???:hyper:

Norvegianwood, you might wait a little longer than what you expected, there are a lot of strikes here in France . It shouldn't affect you but who knows...???:meh: I hope for you it won't!

10. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I was considering that, but I wasn't sure if the extra 100 watts or so would really make much of a difference over the 400 watt model. If it really does make a big difference, particularly with more efficient speakers like the Schroeders, then I will seriously consider it

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, I have to say, I use a 1212 Schroeder running a SWR Bass 750. I do not have to turn up much past 3 to keep up with my band. My cabinet is 8 Ohm. So I am running at 450 watts. I have to be heard in between 3 drummers and 3 guitar players (2 on Fender Twins). It handles very nicely.
    I am actually very impressed. If you go with the Schroeder cabinets, make sure you throw in the extra $60 for the cover. Very well worth it.

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'll be following this one too.
    I'm considering the same set up.

I just got a Thunderfunk TFB550 and only had a short time to test it out. I can't believe the power from the 15lbs and the tone control with the Timbre dial is huge for quick and substantial tone adjustment.

I ran it through a BagEnd D10B-D (210, 400w, 4ohm) and had to be careful of the power even though it can handle an 800w peak signal.

I'd like to get a lighter cab though...the Schroeder 1210 is on the top of my list of options.

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It also gives you a two channel selection where the 450 only has one channel.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The first part is correct, but twice (2x) the power will give approximately 3db increase in perceived volume.

And yes, I do have CTAS (Carpel Tunnel Anal Syndrome).

15. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Jorg had only 1 and now it is mine. He did not have any of the 4 Ohm jack plates and he wanted to get me my cab!! Yes, once again, I ended up with a 1 of a kind :D

16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Mmmm...

wouldn't the driver configuration, not the jack plate itself determine the impedence? Getting an 8 ohm, two driver enclosure would require different speakers than a 4 ohm, two driver enclosure...unless it's an Accugroove apparently...

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, all I can say is that when I spoke with Jorg, he only had a 8 Ohm 1212 for me unless I could wait 3 weeks for a 1212 4Ohm. I must say, that I am glad I went with the 8 Ohm. These cabinets rock!!!